Limited slip, posi differentials

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a limited slip or posi differential in there 2WD pickup to help with traction on getting back up the ramps? My 2WD pickup came with an "open rear" and I was looking at getting an Auburn Gear posi rear end installed. I was quoted $510.00 for parts and labor, I thought it was a great price since the Auburn unit is $350-$360. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Bill the Auburn is a good unit a buddy of mine had 1 installed in his Bronco and he loves it. Posi in a 2wd is a great way to improve traction. Price does not sound to bad $150 to install.

BF

We installed a PowerTrax no-slip traction system in my son's 98 Dakota. If you have have some mechanical confidence, it was not that hard to install and the installation directions where excellent. It is a sensitive unit. If you corner hard with acceleration you will get tire chirp as it senses slip and locks in. If interested we got it from Summit Racing Equipment catalog or you can go to summitracing.com They run around $420 based on your type of vehicle and free shipping.

I just bought an 03 Sonoma w/locking differential and it does help traction but, sure ain't worth diddly on snow & ice...

TEE

Bill -

I've known a number of people who have had aftermarket positraction differentials installed. Every one of them has loved the results.

If you have a choice between the two, go with the posi. Limited slip will still only give you one wheel driving.

Definately have it professionally installed; tolerances are very important for long life.

me!

A quick primer for those who may not know the differences.....

OPEN: Power always goes to the wheel with the least traction.

LIMITED SLIP: Power always goes to the wheel with the most traction.

POSITRACTION/LOCKING: Power always goes to both wheels.

I have the locking diff on my Chevy 2500HD. It does help but not as much as a goos set of tires will.

I have the Eaton G80 Locker on my Chevy 1500HD. It unlocks at speeds over 20mph, so you need to be going slow so it works. Good tires are a must too!

Bob G.

Back