Life jackets (hey Teri C. )

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Jones

Reaction score
Was watching our Tennessee Wildside TV show the other day and the wildlife officer was saying that a life jacket is not considered "valid" if the part on it that shows the "stats" for the jacket is worn to where you cannot read it. You can be ticketed for no life jacket even though you have one. Anyone else know about this in your state?

BTW, I remember Teri C. saying she was going to be on that show, did that ever come about Teri?

Every life jacket that I have ever owned has the "stats" on the inside liner, right about mid-back area. On my inflatable, it's on one of the rear sospender straps, but still facing towards the inside. If you were to wear any of these with the "stats" showing, you wouldn't be able to zip them up. I seriously believe that either that wildlife officer wasn't being clear on what he was saying, or he doesn't know what he is talking about.

All the best,

Glenn

Glenn,

I think he means the if stats are worn off the fabric you could be fined. I dont know about everywhere but i know in my state they will give yo ua hard time if you get an inspection and they are worn off.

That's what he meant Jim B, worn off the fabric so you could not read it.:)

I've got to buy new jackets!:(

I have been told also that if there is mold etc... on a jacket that is also an offense. Don't under stand that one either but??????????/

Randy!

OH.... now I understand. Thanks for the clarification. Yep - I've heard the same too. They have to be able to tell what "class" of jacket it is, as some of the styles are close, but are rated differently.

Randy,

I don't know about mold, but I know if any of the fabric is ripped or worn, they can give you a ticket.

All the best,

Glenn

I just wish the DNR guys in GA would show UP on the lakes! In 15 years of boating almost every weekend (all year long) i've only seen 3 DNR boats, 1 on Lanier and 2 on Allatoona (6 years between). There are so many idiots through the summer months I WISH they would check jackets, weight limits, childen (see way too many infants and toddlers with no life jackets).

Trep

Funny, I've given the DNR all of the information on both your boat, lake of choice and your tow car - and you mean they haven't stopped you yet???? :p :p :p ;)

Tex

Seriously though. I had friends up for the 4th this year, and me and my buddy were at the local marina having some lunch. If the DNR had simply shown up there, they would have spent all day. Since it's only one of two Marina's on the lake (and the one more 'weekend warriors use the most), it would have been a good place to keep people from killing themselves and endangering kids.

About every other boat was overloaded by at least 3-4 people, and nary a life jacket in sight most times, even on the kiddos.

Tex

You guys need to come up here sometime....there is only one CO in the county and a lake that is 525 square miles....but we have boarder patrol, marine sheriff, uscg, uscg auxiliary....etc. even more on the big side of the lake in canada...

But yes, mold, mildew, tears, no printing, etc all reasons for a life jacket to not count.

Mini is right. You can go to even the smallest lakes in Michigan and Indiana and you WILL see a DNR eventually! I get checked about8 times a year!

Randy!

I've been checked several times, several places from the Mississippi River to the Atlantic Ocean. Around here, the DNR budgets have been dramatically cut, but they do have a ride-along program that many local, county and state police officers participate in. This allows the DNR a two man team per boat, increasing (theoretically doubling) coverage. Unfortunately, it's a program mostly implemented during peak times.

Quick tip: Take your life jackets and occasionally give them a "wringing out", like you would do to a wet towel. Any tears, seam seperation, or buckle snapping and it will be deemed "out of use" and a violation waiting to happen. I've seen LEO's gently bend them to check and I've seen guys trying like they're ripping a phonebook in half. A "legal" preserver is one that survives the check. ;)

Thanks Tex, so thats why they keep following me !! LOL

Nope they never called me. Not sure why they bothered tracking me down but fine with me. Don't think I am ready for that. :p

Latest posts

Back