Leaky PT 18

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Glover

Reaction score
OK, I know tin boats tend to leak, especially one that is ten years old like my PT 18. I usually take on about a gallon of water in 3-4 hours of fishing. I have never taken on enough for the automatic bilge pump to turn on.

So, here's the question: Having checked everything else, including every rivet and they all seem solid, a mechanic told me the boat could be taking on water at that line of screws on the transom, each of which has a washer of unknown material. So, he recommended replacing them, but that didn't work, simply because I can't get the screws to turn to get them out.

Any ideas anyone? Should I believe this guy? Those screws are underwater the entire time the boat is in the lake, so I could understand leaking around them, especially since those washers look pretty beat up, old, cracked, etc.

Jack

Try an impact wrench or impact hammer, if the screws are the bad boys and they go through the transom; check to see if the inside of the transom is dry.

Your local auto shop/parts should have tools to rent. They should be able to help you on the correct tool.

cq

It has been rumored that a KeelShield placed over the center keel seam helps a lot with leaky tin boats. Assuming that is, if that is where your leak(s) are.

TOXIC

My old PT-185 would take on water at the seam between the hull and the gunwale during a top speed run. Could that be the culprit?

First, to answer SoonerFan, I don't run top speed hardly ever...just a nice 4000rpm/30mph is fine with me, and I don't go out if it's windy and rough. Toxic, I'll check that center keel seam this weekend...you might be right. As for the impact wrench or impact hammer, I'm afraid of damaging the screws and/or screw heads to the point they are worse leaks than they are now.

I guess if I had the courage, I could drill them out and go with larger screws and washers, but that scares me too.

By all means, I'll check the inside of the transom to see if it's dry. What a basic thing to do! Thanks cqbaker, I would never have thought of it.

I'll repost next week after I get back to the boat over the weekend.

Thanks everyone.

Jack

30 mph was top speed in my PT-185.:rolleyes: Next time you're running at a nice 4000 rpm just look to see if the water is splashing up under your gunwale at towards the stern of the boat. Mine only did it on long high-speed (30 mph ;) ) runs.

OK SoonerFan, I'll watch for that next week...hope to fish every day during the week, so maybe I'll figure out something from this help.

Jack

Jack, if you're only getting a gallon of water in 3 to 4 hours and not enough to engage the bilge pump, I'd leave everything along. It would probably bug the heck out of me but I would worry more about messing something up.:rolleyes:

Uncle Billy

my old tracker leaked so much it was not funny, one thing that helped mine was i put a thin layer of clear silicone around the rivets. it had no effect on performance, but it has to be a silicone that stays real flexable.

mike c

So I assume this IS a riveted model ?

I can help....been there, done that.:eek:

Jack:

I have a 1998 PT185, and I get about a half gallon of water in the boat everytime I go out. I sealed all the rivets, the bow seam and I still get water in the boat. Last spring a friend of mine and myself completely carpeted the boat. What I found really suprised me. When I fish a tournament I fill the livewell approx. 1/2 way, then when I catch a keeper fish I fill the livewell up and put the unit on recirculate. well low and behold I look under the back deck that the livewell is attached to and I can see light where the liveweel rim meets the underside of the deck. I sealed the area with aqarium silicone and solved 98% of the problem. Seems like every time I made a hole shot the water would go up over the back rim of the livewell and go into the bilge.

Mike

Mike, I'll check that livewell possibility out Monday...that may be the culprit. Also, TEE, you have mail from me. Uncle Billy, I would ordinarily agree and live with it, but the lake is so low now I have to drive a lot further to a ramp that is usable. So, a neighbor of mine 5 minutes away offered to let me wet slip the boat during the week at his dock/boat house when I fish just about every day, but I can't take a chance on that bilge pump keeping up with a hard rain just in case one came through during some night. Unfortunately, he doesn't have a covered slip or one with a lift.

jag

Jack,

Other ideas, if the above doesn't work:

1 - Park her in the driveway level, if not a little bow low, and fill the bildge up with water after she has been nice and dry for a week. Let her sit and see where, if anywhere you see water actualy leaking out (rivits, keel...) then tilt her back so the water is in the transom/bildge area and again look to see if there are any leaks on any of the fittings on the back of the boat. It could be a livewell/drain fitting thats not sealed.

2 - If that shows now water, then drain the boat and fill your livewells up, and again wait and see if any comes out there. Could be a crack/leak in a fitting or drain/fill pipe.

Just my 2 yuan (thats about 26 cents US!!! LOL) Trep

Latest posts

Back