Lake Okeechobee

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzz Bouvier

Reaction score
I'm headed to Florida in March for a week to visit my wife's parents in Clearwater, the only way I told my wife I would go if she let me spend a day fishing Lake Okeechobee. We are going to drive from Clearwater and spend the night.. With that being said, can anyone recommended a good guide on Lake Okeechobee. What is the fishing like on that lake and what kind of weights come out of it? Thanks...

Buzz

Buzz, a friend of mine was talking about going to Florida fishing and he's been their often. I said "let's go fish the Big-O".. He said "where on the Big-O would you like to fish." Seeing

my ignorant reaction he said, "Bill, saying you're going to fish Okeechobee is like saying you'ren going to fish Italy. It's a HUGE place. To give you a clue as to prices and such here's a link to where I was going to go. I wanted to go to this place because it's supposed to be very nice and is popular. My friend who has been down there a lot says to be very careful of where you might stay AND he would not go anywhere, except maybe Rolands' place, without carrying.

Hey, good luck and have a nice time.

Bill

http://www.rolandmartinmarina.com/

The Big-O.....The "O" should stand for "Over rated"!!!

Go up the road about 50 miles to Lake Istokpoga. Smaller, but better fishing. Ive spent a week on each in the winter. You couldnt pay me to go back to Okeechobee. However, Roland Martin's resort is a nice place, unless you want hot water for a shower, and the ramp is only a mile away.

I would go up the river...It's fished much less..I lived ther rom 1975-1991 It's a great lake..but the kissimmiee rivere Is where the great fishing is..Use worms tex rig them or get somne big shinners fish the banks....I caugh my biggest fish In the river..Feb...bluegill great..shell great....

if you are going to clearwater, you will be close to lake tarpon. you could easily make several daytrips. check the web for a good guide,

mike

Check out flwoutdoors.com and search the tournaments for Lake O. You'll see that in recent years the Monkey Box and Moonshine Bay areas have been a favorite. Both are not too far from Roland Martin's place in Clewiston.

If you do fish alone, make sure you have a GPS if venturing out of the rim canal and into the lake, everything looks the same. The Monkey Box marker sits near N 26*55.500 W 81*05.400

You can't go wrong with pitching baits into the grass and weed patches located in both areas. A local favorite bait for flipping and pitching is a little black and blue crawdad with a 1 oz. weight on braided line. You may be able to get away with 3/4 oz. but not much lighter.

It's a bit of a ride from Roland's, but if you decide run into the Kissimmee River, most have had good luck all of the way up near the dam on Carolina rigged plastics.

We experienced a major cold front last week during the Bassmaster Series TX on Lake O. Numbers were way down, but a non-boater did weigh in a 9-15

I went down there last March and my wife let me fish a day on Okeechobee. I hired a guide out of Scott Martin's marina which is just next door from his dad's marina (they are separate). The guide's name was Kevin Long and I can't say enough about him. Not only did he make the day a lot of fun and teach me several new things but on top of that we really wacked 'em. I caught 26 bass in 6 hours on wild shiners and we fished in Winnie's Cove (southern part of the lake). I can tell you that if you were to take your own boat down there and not have GPS it would be VERY easy to get into trouble. I am going back soon and will be calling for Kevin's services again.

I've fished with Art Furgeson also. He fishes the tour and has been on the Big O for a long time. I also fished with him on Seminole in the 2000 Top 150. I'm sure there are other guides that are great too but if they're biting Art will know where. Okeechobee is awesome and if you've never been there the size will blow you away. If you do take your boat keep in mind, you HAVE to find clear water.

The name is ROland and Mary Martin's Marina.

Call Art, if he is not available, get ahold of KEvin Long or Laura Aldridge.

All are pretty good. Tell em Mini sent you.

Mini

Buzz - The North end of the Big O is something to consider also. (Quick access to Moonshine Bay, Monkey Box, the ditches, Bird Island, etc.) Okeetantee is a great Marina and Okeechobee City has plenty of decent lodging. It will give you quick access to the Kissimmee River which has been restored. You can run up the river to a bunch of places or down to the South end and fish Pelican Bay (shrimp and pepper grass) when it's nice or some of the dynamite holes if a front moves through. I know the lake has taken a beating from the hurricanes, but it'll still produce some great catches. I kept a boat at Pahokee Marina (SE side) for several years and the lower rim canal can be a lifesaver on a windy day. Wherever you go, be safe and have a ball!!

Back