Lake Anna Help

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill B - what kind of help are you looking for? A place to launch? Where the LM's are? Where the stripers are? What kind of lures/bait to use?

Okay - let me first say that I'm no expert on Lake Anna. But I CAN say that I've taken a few LM's out of there. The best advice I can give you first off is to get a really good map of the lake. A company called GMCO makes a great version and they can usually be purchased at the Bass Pro Shops in Hanover, MD (not too far from Westminster). If you're planning to launch at Lake Anna, I like Anna Point Marina near the 208 bridge (www.annapoint.com). They open at 5:30am and the bait shop carries the maps.

For the fishing, last I heard, LM's were still in the summer pattern, although you can find them moving into the shallows close to docks, riprap and weeds in the early morning and late evening. The primary baitfish are American and Threadfin shad, and blueblack herring. Early morning and late evening, you can get a few nice ones right off of riprap and docks using a popper that imitates those baitfish. My neighbor (and fishing partner) had great success with an Excalibur Pop'N Image in the Threadfin shad pattern. Crankbaits with similar colors should work too. Towards the later part of the day as it heats up, senko's in a dark pattern fished deep seemed to work well.

This weekend, the weather is not supposed to be nearly as hot as it has been - with Saturday being overcast. Hopefully, the bite will begood as I'll be on the Lake as well going for Stripers!

Good luck! - JC

Bill B. - I went out this morning at 0600 and they were on the surface but I couldn't get anything to hit. Went to my Senko's and started hitting them around the boat houses. Picked up one nice 4 pounder over in Contrary Creek on the right hand side going in. Way back in a little pocket under a new boat house.

They seem to be moving up from the deep and into the shallows a little more than they have over the past few weeks. Doesn't seem to have moved down lake below the power plant yet. I would stay above the 208 bridge and eitherin the Anna or Pamunkey back in the coves. Only saw one other fisherman this morning. I cam off the lake about 0930 and had boated four. Lots of little nibbles but nothing taking the 4 or 5 inch Senko. Through lots of stuff, crank, spinner, topwater, rat'l trap, swim baits, C-Rigs but nother except the Senko.

Water temps still in the 80s but starting to drop. Weekends haven't been too bad with the boaters and the weekend is supposed to be nice and cool.

Maybe Toxic will chime in since he has a tendency to fish the uppper lake and I fish down lake.

Good Luck and maybe I'll be out on Saturday or Sunday if the wife heads to Northern Virginia.

Bill in VA (Lake Anna):D

Bill B - forgot to add to try uplake of 208 in an area called Rose Valley. Try fishing the riprap along the shore that area down to the main lake area at the Splits. Also, fish around the mouth of and just into Sturgeon Creek. All good areas.

Bill H - maybe we'll see you on the Lake? We'll be in Jim Hemby's rig.

JC

Jim C. Tell Jim H that I said hello. He is a heck of a Striper fisherman and he sure did me right if you remember the pics on the fridge. Have a great time and maybe he will wear you out like he did me. I imagine you will be launch from Anna Point and going for baitfish first and then on the stripers hot and heavy.

Be careful though, he will turn you away from LM and onto fishing for Stripers. LOL

Bill in VA

Latest posts

Back