knots and flourocarbon

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
As you know I fished a tournament this past weekend. Before the tournament I spooled a few of my reels with Pline's flouroclear. I really like the Pline it was EXTREMELY smooth and it casts great. My only problem was it broke at the knot quite a bit. Last year when I was fishing with a friend of mine who is sponsored by Berkley (Ron Shaw). He said that when Berkley came out with the new Iron Silk they said not to tie a palomer, or any other knot for that matter with it. The reason being that those knots would pinch the line causing it to fail. Berkley recomended the Trilene knot for the Iron Silk. Here is my question is flourocarbon the same way. I talk to another friend of mine who is sponsored by PLine and he has had the same problem with it breaking at the knot. He told me he did a little research about it and found what was called the San Diego knot. He said it works well. My question is what do ya'll tie with your flourocarbon lines. I didn't have this problem on my flipping stick (rigged with 20 pound). It only broke with the 10 pound.

I usually only keep a couple rods rigged with flourocarbon in the boat for clearer water. I don't care to throw it with topwaters because it sinks. It works great with crankbaits just because you can get a little extra depth with them. I typically use Trilene Big Game but I am about to switch everything to PLine (mono and a couple rigged with flouro)

Thanks!

BJ

BJ-

The regular PLine works well for anything. It is the next best thing to Fireline.

Flouroclear is awsome for working Senkos and other sorts of plastic baits like plastic jerkbaits.

T.S.

It is important when tieing the palomar that you pull ONLY THE TAG END. Any friction / wearing on the line will on the tage portion which gets removed anyway.

I don't care what kind of line it is, I don't trust any knot more than a Palomar.

Also remember..When tying ANY knot..Slower is better! You won't create as much friction and you'll wind up with a stronger knot. I think a lot of guys get in a hurry when tyin'...NOT GOOD!

Back