Kicker motor...Teri, didn't you have a kicker on your Nitro

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Wilhelm

Reaction score
This is mostly directed at Teri, but anyone with experience on this is welcome to comment. Teri, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you have pics of a kicker motor mounted beside your big outboard? I checked the gallery, and didn't see the pic. I am considering mounting a 6 horse Mercury next to my 115 for a weekend trip and was wondering how it worked out for you.

Thanks,

Don

Don,

It might be apples to oranges since we have completely different rigs, but I run a 9.9 kicker on my ProAngler 16. I mount it on the right of the main motor and purchased an extending handle to attach to the throttle. That way I can sit on the pedestal seat in the back and steer comfortably.

Rich D

What does a small "kicker" do for a boat anyway? I would think that it would cause more drag than help?

For me, I need one for the many lakes in PA with horsepower restrictions 10hp-20hp. I know others that use them for slow trolling for walleye.

Rich D

Don,

I put a few pictures back in my library of the kicker plate I had made for my boat. One piece of the plate was ordered from Cabelas. I kept it when I sold my tin boat. The flat metal piece you see across the back was made by a welder who works part time at Nollies fiber glass repair. It provided a flat surface to mount the other part to. I made a drawing for him to make the plate. Basically gave him the dimension of the big motor mount and the distance across the back and he went from there. I only use the kicker for Eagle Creek (10hp restriction). It is not rigged to the big motor so I can take it on and off. I basically sit in the back and lean against the big motor and steer it. Only use it to get from point to point. If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Teri, thanks for the response and the additional pics(Thanks to the others as well). I didn't realize the motor was mounted on an attached bracket. So the main plate across the back is actually under the main O/B?? I have not fished Eagle creek yet, but the trip in question is to Turtle creek. They also have a 10 hp limit there.

Yes, that plate is bolted underneath the main O/B. The main problem with mounting a kicker to a fiber glass boat is the back of most boats are not a flat level surface like a tin boat. This makes it difficult to attach a standard kicker plate.

I went to Turtle Creek a month or two ago and didn't even get a bite. Hope you do better than we did.

Back