KeelShield Installed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy Easterling

Reaction score
After stairing at the box the Keelshield came in and reading the instructions a half dozen times, I finally decided it was time to just do it and put it on. My son was here and it took us about an hour and a half. Nothing to it. I guess it was the "will not come off if you you screw it up" that made it hesitate. One question, it says to apply a marine sealer to all edges, do you guys do that? I'm not too kean on the mess that silicon makes.

When Dan and I did ours we did run the silicone bead along all edges, only took us around 10mins per boat/keelshield. I'm not with KeelShield, but think any extra seal you can put along something like this to ensure its water tight, will help it stay on over the years. I am into my 4th season with my, i've taken to beaching the boat more lately with Eli this spring/summer, as it helps me get in/out quicker by using my Tmotor skeg to hold the boat at shore and the KeelShield takes a licking and keeps on sticking!

Use 3m 4200 in either black or white. Does a great job sealing and doesn't make a mess. Just cut the tip very small and don't sqeeze too hard.

And have a few clean/wet papertowels handy, to smooth the bead of caulk down, and you're all set.

Back