keel shield

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TROY WAINRIGHT3

Reaction score
Got lucky this weekend and picked up the last keel shield on clearence.To be switching to keel guard brand bps had only 12 reds in stock and 1 gray.:wacko: Anyways my question is does the front have to be scuffed up or can it be put on after being cleaned really good with acetone?Ive heard of it being done both ways but i want to knows whats best.thanx. I dont like the idea of scuffing up the bottom incase it effects the performance. Arnt they suppose to come with a free bow guard also?Any help would be appreciated thanx.

I think - you only scuff up where the keelguard will cover, and once that is put on, it's part of the boat, unless you rip it off with half the fiberglass it's connected to. So suff or no scuffs, your never gonna see the scuff.

Troy -From what Tox and other say follow the directions to the LETTER and there will be no problems. I have mine still in the box waiting for a warm weekend, but on the keelshield site they are very specific (see below). When I put mine on it will be done exactly as they direct, so I have no issues with adhesion.

Surface Preparation

Note: The following steps must be done with great care. If any step is left undone or done improperly, the adhesive will not bond and you will have failure. If the bottom of your craft is painted, it is crucial there is no peeling paint. If your boat has anti-fouling paint on the bottom you must remove it where the KeelShield will be installed,the adhesive will not stick to that paint.

Hold your KeelShield to your hull to determine where it will be placed. For ease of application on the following steps, it is suggested that you use a wax pen, pencil and trace or tape off the area where your Keelshield will be placed.

Using isopropyl alcohol and paper towels you need to thoroghly clean a small area.While this area is still wet, use a clean paper towel and wipe it off. Repeat this step until you have cleaned the entire area where the KeelShield will be installed. NOTE: For removing a heavy wax you can use a laquer thinner Before you begin step #2. Just be sure to do step #2 after using any other cleaning agents. Most all will leave a invisible film behind except isopropyl alcohol.

Using the 3M scotch brite pad provided, use a circular motion and scuff the area where your KeelShield is to be applied. Be sure to scuff the entire surface,this step removes the gloss and provides a proper bonding surface for the adhesive.

Repeat step #2 . This will remove all of the residue and ensures the surface will bond with the adhesive.

http://www.keelshield.com/51.html

I had a hard time making that first scuff on mine too but as was mentioned, it will be covered once you get the Keelshield on. I put a Hamby's on mine but the concept is the same. Without the rough surface to adhere to, it will come off. Most of the area you scuff up will be out of the water anyway when you are on plane.

NoCAL

Do what the instructions say do... Don't be afraid to scuff the area that the KeelShield will cover up...

Get somebody to help you hold the KeelShield in position and mark the outline with a grease pencil or crayon.... It ain't hard to put them on with some help... Don't skip any part of the directions or you WILL be posting "How do i fix the KeelShield i didn't install correctly!!!!

KB

Ditto..........Just be VERY careful not to scuff outside the line where the shield will go. I use painters tape and line the outside of the line that way if I slip I won't scuff too much. Can you imagine what Mac wouldda done to me if I buggered up his baby!!:eek::lol:

TOXIC

Back