Keel Guard coming lose

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Yeatts

Reaction score
Hoping someone can give me some input. I jusr picked up a new to me 2001 Pro Craft. It has a Keel Guard on it and on one side the back 4-5 feet is hanging lose. It is fine on the other side from front to back. The guy I bought it from tried putiing some silicone on it, but it didn't hold at all. Anybody have any ideas about how I can salvage this thing? Appreciate any input/suggestions.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

Do you know who the manufacturer is? KeelGuard, KeelShield, Tech 5, Megaware, Hamby's light duty? I am pro-staff for KeelShield and they have a lifetime guarantee. Nonetheless give Scott Smith at KeelShield an email. He can avvise you on how to fix, repair or remove the unit. His email is [email protected] Tell him I refered you and if yours can't be fixed, he will give you a deal on a new one.

TOXIC (Scott Hammer)

I would listen to Toxic but in case you don't want to you can always use 5 or 6 10 penny nails. That should hold it! LOL

You're going to love that boat. Scott took really good care of it and was hating to see it go.

It is a Tech 5 Keel Guard. Bill, I don't think I'll be putting nails in it!! LOL!!

Your right Velcro, I know he was hoping I wouldn't show up!! He said he may get inut. to an '08 Pro Craft. I'm enjoying crawling around in the boat and making it mine. I think I'm gonna try some 3M 5400 adhesive after I get the silicone cleaned out. Appreciate the help.

Mike

Email Scott before you glue aything. He knows about the Tech 5 and the associated problems as well as the best fix. Good luck.

TOXIC

Toxic,

Appreciate your input; I'm in email contact with Scott. Great Board and great contributors. I'll have more questions soon. Thanks again everyone!!

Mike

I experienced this first hand a couple months ago. A year after taking my boat off of BPS show room floor. The front 5 feet of my keel gaurd was hanging off the boat after a tournament. I ripped it off and had a hell of a time contacting TECH 5...Finally through BPS I had them send me a new one at no charge and the only leg you have to stand on with TECH 5 is this.....and it is a true senario that happens often.

When the keel gaurd was completly off the boat and i cleaned off the 3m tape adhesive. The hull was shinny like new. THEY DID NOT PRE THE SURFACE LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSED TOO. They are supposed to lightly sand and prep the area for a good stick with the adhesive. On this basis they sent me a new one which I will self install being if you want something done right you do it yourself.....

Is BPS installing the keel guards themselves?

I had a Tech 5 keel guard installed on my boat in April 2000 and have had no problems with it. The Tech 5 rep came to my dealer from out of state and installed it while training the dealer mechanic. I watched him scuff the boat before installing the guard. He also had a "bucket heater" to warm up the keel guard while doing the prep. April in VT can be like winter or summer!!

Bob G.

The problem with the Tech 5 has been more of the adhesive seperating from the keel guard but adhering to the hull. There's nothing you can do when that happens, it's a manufacturing/materials problem. If the hull is preped properly, the 3M should hold it forever!! It hurts, but you have to scuff the hull.

TOXIC

the original was applied to the hull from the Tracker Plant in Springfield.....need I say more. LOL

Latest posts

Back