Karma....

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan J.

Reaction score
While down at the dock a few moments ago with my little boy, I witnessed a sight I had to relate. I was adjusting my dock cables (the Corps has been pulling close to an inch a day lately) when a 18' bowrider comes down the shoreline about 15' off my neighbors docks, then mine. I tried to motion them down off pad with my hands before they reached us (my boy is only four) and one of them motioned back, but with only one finger, and kept on going. (Nice guy!) Although Lake Lanier has a 100' no wake law off of ALL docks and public parks/ramps, this boat (a rental from a resort on the south end) didn't seem to know and/or care. Sadly, this happens frequently and really comes as no surprise. You just have to get used to it when you live on a lake with as much pressure as ours.

The part that prompted me to post was when these "rocket scientists" (LOL!) continued down the docks/shoreline, they obviously neglected to see that as they reached the end of the creek it gets MUCH shallower. (Stumpy and rocky too!) Half way into our roller coaster ride on the dock from their 4' wake I heard a loud BANG from their boat/direction. (150yds. or so away) They were at a full stop with four heads leaning over the transom. Yep, they bottomed out and probably trashed the lower unit! They were all fine as it looked, just busted and stranded on a flat. (with about a 20 deg. list stbd.)

I called my local ranger office (a mile away as the crow flies) to let them know/lend a hand and when I left my dock they were being "assisted" after a lengthy boat check and a flurry of yellow sheets being written. While I don't relish in others misfortune, I consider this event just part of the learning curve for these folks that don't need to obey safe boating laws. I'm sure they intended to just hit the lake for some fun, however I know they started having a much worse day due to their own ignorance...and a little Karma. (Kinda like when a speeder blows your doors off only to be on the side of the road with a Trooper minutes later.) Just had to share.

Dan,

Sometimes, them that deserves - gets what they deserves! Like you, I don't relish being part of someone else's trouble, but sometimes, being stupid really doesn't pay off. Can't imagine what a nice time they had when they got back to where they rented. Talk about a bad ending to a bad day.

Tex

I would have walked down to the point and applauded (after I got up off the ground from laughing that is!!).

I actually did a good deed the other day I will spare you the long and very funny details (some already know) but suffice to say I towed a lake flea to the marina because they ran out of gas. When they tried to pay me, I told them that the next time someone badmouths bass fishermen I want them to remember me and what I did for them that day.

TOXIC

I'm afraid you missed a fine opportunity to show your son a lesson. This is where you get in your boat, motor down to where they are (REAL close mind you) and point and say "son, this is what happens when you have no respect for anyone else". Then while right there, you call the marina where they rented the rig to let them know they should inspect it for damage when it's returned.

Dan, How have you been? Any chance of you coming to Virginia in Sept. Would be nice to meet you in person and chat with you and Sue and others. I think Carlos is coming and trying to talk Tox into it. Try to make it if you can! Kenny

Scooby - I live in Gainesville Creek just past G'ville Marina (Hwy 53 bridge). I'm less than 15 min. to just about everywhere on the pond.

Ken - Man I'd really love to, but the Mrs. is coming down the home stretch now, closing in on 7 mos. pregnant with my second son. She's due the first week of Nov. I'll probably be around the house through the holidays. (I had a cabin built on my hunt property for a local, quick getaway during deer season!) Woo and Patty are good folks to do this for those fantastic young people every year and I hope to be there next year.

Dan - I always wish that what you reported would happen when I see some idiot like that on the water. Like the first time I took a friend on Lanier. We were just north of Mary Alice Park fishing the last point before the Marina on the left when a wakeboard boat came FLYING out of the cove and the bow on my 175 went UP, then DOWN and the wave came OVER soaking me!! Got my first test of my bildge pump that day!!!

I honestly think a licensing requirement for boaters would help, it would require them to at least READ and sign that they know the laws and rules before heading out. And for rentals, they could have a temporary license, that the retailer would be responsibily to have the renter sign.

And you are a good person for calling the ranger to get them help and a good talking too!!

Trep

Man

It would have been real hard for me not to jump in my boat and have some fun. Your restraint is commendable.

fatrap

I would have done exactly what Toxic suggested....applaud with the loudest, slowest clapping I could muster.

I had a quite smile on may face after reading this...atleast no one was injured....pysically !

Not always do these stories have a happy ending. Just last month a 14 year old from my town was killed and another was in critical care when the Seadoos they were riding collided. This past week another boy in OKC suffered a fractured leg when the Seadoo he was riding was struck by a hit & run Seadoo rider.

Harpo

Harpo, if you act irresponsible, bad things will happen. Maybe not even "to" you but usually "by" you. I think there sould be a mandatory safety course completion for anyone to operate motorized watercraft of any kind. Especially lake fleas.

TOXIC

I copied the VT requirements concerning boating safety courses.

Who May Operate a Vessel

All persons born after January 1, 1974, must have successfully completed an approved boating safety education course to legally operate any motorized vessel (this includes personal watercraft).

The boating safety education course must be approved by the Department of Public Safety. Those successfully completing a course are issued a certificate by the Vermont Department of Public Safety. The certificate is valid for the lifetime of the person to whom it was issued. No one younger than 10 years of age may receive a certificate.

Persons required to have completed the course must carry his or her course certificate onboard when operating a motorized vessel.

Those born after January 1, 1974, are exempted from the above if they:

Are licensed by the U. S. Coast Guard to operate a commercial vessel or...

Operate the vessel only on a private lake or pond or...

Are not a resident of Vermont and have proof that they have passed an approved boater education course in another state.

No one under 12 years of age may legally operate any vessel powered by a motor of more than 6 horsepower, even if the person has successfully completed a boating safety education course.

No one under 16 years of age may legally operate a personal watercraft (PWC), even if the person has successfully completed a boating safety education course.

Bob G.

A quote from the KY boating laws:

Kentucky law requires persons ages 12-17 to pass a state certified test before operating any watercraft over 10 horsepower by themselves on Kentucky waters. The six-hour, free course and test is offered twice a month April through September in each of the state

Dan,

Is that a cove to the right after coming north under the 53 bridge? We fished in that particular cove a week or two ago and noticed an old roadbed/ ramp and an old houseboat that looks to have been beached and isn't very "sea worthy" anymore.

Firescooby -

Gainesville Creek is about a 1/2 mile N of the 53 bridge. The river channel makes a hard left (going N) in front of the water plant and to the right is Gainesville creek. It's one of the dozen or so unmarked creeks on the lake. (Over 2 mi. long with a constant flow.)

The cove you mention was the old 53 bridge and road before they dammed up the river. Out in 105 - 110 ft casting over the standing timber (60 - 80') has been good in that area down to River Forks with topwaters/flukes early for nice spots and stripes. Caught more numbers (read: lotta dinks with keepers and an occasional good 'un) this week slinging a spoon into breaking schools in the same area. They're gorging on all those 2" threadfin balls in the main channel suspending in the tree tops. Good luck!

Back