Kansas City OUTDOOR SHOW ........OR NOT

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustin w

Reaction score
Well the outdoor show this year sucked not even 1/3 of the usual sellers and it was still $9 bucks to get in. What a joke I guess the market is really bad around here the new bass pro in independence MO had a boat show well sort of a boat show not that many boats you would think if they were going to have a boat show they would at least have one of each style of boat

Yes sir, it was a disappointment. If one wanted a Sham-Wow knockoff or a patio room, KC Sports Show was the place to be. However, for fishing tackle or other sports equipment Bartle Hall was not the source. Hall was half full, Toyota was the only vehicle represented, there were some trailers and boats were poorly represented. Vendors selling tackle were an afterthought at best. :(:(:(

Almost any trade show can be VERY expensive for a exhibitor. I've attended and staffed quute a number and managed our display at a couple.

Things are tough all over, and its really hard to justify these expenses when many of these companies are among the ranks of those letting people go.

at a major event, like the Consumer electronics show. a simple pedestal with a laptop computer will cost the displayer as much sa 5-10K, and surcharges for everything (signage, electrical, internet access etc.) THEN, if you want more than one person working at that pedestal, it can be half again as much for the extra people simple to WORK. put on top of that the travel and lodging, display shipping there and back, and all that goes with it, its not hard to spend $50K on two people for three days at the smallest of displays.

whats worse, as the entire show shrinks both in displays and public attendance, those who DO cough up the bucks to participate end up standing around talking to each other.

It's tough out there. I'd rather see the money not spent and somebody perhaps keeping their job with the savings.

Well, in tough times some marketers really get going, it's just like in business, the best time to expand is in a tough economy. I will be in Richmond at the Bass Expo because that is what it is a "Bass" expo. Sure, the Shamwow guy will be there as well as trinket jewlery, Cutco and honey nuts and outfitters from Montana and Canada but so will all major Bass Boat dealers, tackle vendors and local guides. There will be pontoon boats, jon boats, float tubes and I'm sure a few ski boats. I book a lot of trips at this show (normally) because the show focuses on bass fishing. "Boat Shows" normally don't. They try to be too many things to too many people. The Expo has always been more targeted to fishermen. With KVD and Rojas there it helps. I have done some "boat shows" and it wasn't all that fun. I look forward to the Expo. I guess I am saying to pick the show wisely but I know cabin fever sets in and you just need to get out. You are almost better off, if you can't find a good show, to go to a Bass Pro with a restaurant and window shop.:lol:

TOXIC

I think a lot of the "hard cores" are "showed out!".....the novelty has worn off and it's always the same old faces and crowds...albiet a lot fewer now than 20 yrs ago! Back when I was first getting started we couldn't wait for the show season...there were no BPS's or other tackle stores around that could meet our needs. Now with the internet and BPS's and Cabela's and Dick's and Gander's on every corner,...the "need" to go to a show has diminished. The "show specials" can now be had 3mos. a year vs. the old "3 days only".

We did it to ourselves thru demand.....we WANTED more,...and we got it...now we can get whatever we want...whenever we want, from a multitude of outlets.

I think a lot of people who go to shows now are new to the sport and are experiencing the thrill of it all,..but when they realize the show "deals" aren't really deals and/or can be had for the same price 3 mos. from now.....they need a little more incentive to buy TODAY vs. in April,......and name any retailer who won't have "Spring Fishing Sales" in April when their customers are holding their tax refunds in hand.....vs. getting Christmas BILLS in the mail NOW!! :blink:

Just my opinion tho.........;)

BPS is about an hour way. I agree with Tox, if you cant find a show, or have the scheduling ability to get there when its happening, at least BPS is a nice way to kill an afternoon

Be watchful of the BPZ's when your there.

(Bass Pro Zombie's) You can spot them walking in a daze and just putting stuff in the cart and not paying an attn. to the price or anyone else in the aisle. :lol::lol::lol:

The best thing about having a BPS / Gander / Cabela's etc in the near vicinity is that you can go and do a touchy - feely on all the stuff that you see in the catalogs. Don't go to shows anymore as they were a waste of time. I don't even go to BPS shows, particularly when Hammer is doing a tank show. LOL

The best thing about having a BPS / Gander / Cabela's etc in the near vicinity is that you can go and do a touchy - feely on all the stuff that you see in the catalogs. Don't go to shows anymore as they were a waste of time. I don't even go to BPS shows, particularly when Hammer is doing a tank show. LOL

a tank show? is that like Shamu? :)

You really don't want to see Toxic in his yellow speedo amongst the fish in the tank. It's rated "R" for repulsive! :D:D:D Sorry Scott - I couldn't resist!

Latest posts

Back