K Lively - 898 Comment

• Thread starter David Munaretto
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Munaretto

Reaction score
Just a note that from what I've heard from others, the 898 actually loses top end with the jackplate because the pad is set so far back on that boat... know anyone to compare with?

david

David,

I don't know, I ordered a 8" JP w/my boat when it came in it had a 10" on it I questioned it due to how far the pad was set up under the boat. My top end has consistently been between 70 & 71 gps. w/ 2 men and tournament load 3/4 tank of gas. Have never run it w/light load assume it would do around 75+. In the winter (cool months) I can't run WOT full trim gets into the rev limiter, have to tuck the engine just a tad. Running a 25 pitch Tempest 2 3/4" below pad. I would love to try a 26 or 27 pitch now, tried a 27 when engine was new and not real loose. slow out the hole and and was a few hundred rpms from max. but still hit 70 w/load and if I remember right 74 by myself w/all my gear. would like to try a 27 tuned/blue-printed prop. guessing it would probably be around 72-73 w/load and 78 light. as far as loosing top end I don't know, I don't know of one w/a 225 and no JP got nothing to compare with. Low to mid 70's w/load is pretty good for a almost 21' boat w/225 and 25 pitch prop. theoretical speed for a 25 pitch with my gear ratio is about 77 mph I'm running less than 10% slip w/a load and only about 4% slip light. really can't expect more than that. KENNY

I'd say. Don't change nuthin! Full load and you're running over 70 mph. Sweeeeet! Most heavier hulls, (Nitro, Ranger, Triton)that are in excess of 20' need 250 hp to jump into the mid 70's. I'd say your set up is perfect.

Back