Just purchased a 24V (used) 74lb thrust Minnkota for my 2001 PT 175

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Glaser

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has done this and if so...Where and how did you mount the batteries?

My boat is 40 minutes from my home in storage so I can't look in back.

I wanted to replace the cranker with a Delco 24 and trolling motor with two Delco 27's.

Am I crazy thinking I can sneak an older Dual pro charger in the same area...

Suggestions???

Thanks in advance

Woody

Should fit...doing my 185 this summer.

I purchased three battery trays off Tirtonglenn back in the winter.

That 74 oughta be the bomb on that rig.

Woody - they'll fit, but it will be tight! I once squeezed in two trolling batteries (size 27) and the cranking battery (size 24) next to the tank and they were SNUG! Didn't interfere with the stock Guest single bank charge mounted on the backside of the transom wall. Besides fit, you may want to consider weight distribution. With a full tank, three batteries, full livewell, and gear, the boat might be back heavy, especially if you've maxed out the hp on the boat. I've heard of others putting battery trays in the front storage compartment and running wiring from there. More of a pain for installation to be sure, but might be better weight distribution. Just something to think about more than a concrete recommendation.

A good friend of mine had that exact setup on his pt 185 when he had it. The two 27's and a 24 will fit back there jsut very snog like mentioned before. What he did to make it easier to get the batteries in and out was a dual group27 tray instead of two seperate trays. It takes up a little less space and you dont have to life the battery that is the furthest in over the edge of the tray's. Northern bass sells them for like 16 dollars and its well worth it.

As far as the charger goes i dont know if a dual pro will fit or not. What he did was he mounted a guest 2613 in the same location as the stock 2 bank charger and that fit in there no problem. the 5 amp per bank was fine for the two 27's sionce he hardly ran the batts down since he could run the motor on like 20% all day.

I did what you wanted and found that all three batteries fit in that area. The 27's fit in the front and they run lengthwise east to west. A dual 27 tray would be nice but not absolutely necessary. The size 24 cranking battery fits in the back of the same area but the battery runs length wise north to south. I then mounted my dual pro on the back wall where the original charger was. I found that with my 115 hp Merc I had too much weight in the back especially with another angler back there and ended up moving one of my TM batteries to the front hatch area. If your outboard is 90hp or less it should be OK to put them all back there, I wish I could have.

Back