Jumping fuel gage needle

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Glover

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies about the tank capacity on the PT 18. What brought on the question was, I happened to notice my fuel gage needle bouncing from empty to about a fourth of a tank, and too early for the amount of running I had done. And sure enough, when I filled the tank, thinking it must be at least 15-20 gallons low, it wasn't. I squeezed in 13 gallons. So my fuel gage is unreliable, at least at low fuel points. It's steady at full and 3/4 tank, where I usually have it.

Is the sender bad? I presume that's the metal disk I see on top of the tank and there must be a probe with a float or sensor from that disk down to the bottom of the tank.

Right?

Is this an expensive fix?

jag

Lift the hatch and look at the tank, I've never had a boat I would trust the fuel gauge on.

Some tanks aren't perfect shapes - smaller at the top and larger at the bottom - so the first 1/4 tank might be 10 gallons, but the last 1/4 tank might be 25 gallons. (my friends Sprint)

Jack the fuel gages in a boat are known to be unreliable at best, it is just the way they are :wacko: I replaced my float in mine & it still reads about a 1/4 tank off. The only way to fix this that I know of is to start bending the float arm which is something I am not going to get into :wacko:

That is just the way they are. Mine is also off by about a 1/4 tank after it leaves the full mark.I actually have thought about taking it out and putting in a water pressure gage! At least it would work!

Back