Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teri C.

Reaction score
Has anyone bought the 4 door Jeep Wrangler? I noticed they now have a 3 piece hard top which would seem to make it much easier to take off by yourself. I've always wanted a Wrangler but don't trust the world with a soft top and wouldn't have been able to get the hard top off.

Also, the tow rating is still 3500lbs. I would have thought it would have went up with the longer wheel base but I guess the engine is still around 200hp and 235 torque I think. Any one tow a bass boat with a Wrangler? Just curious.

Just for the record, I am not buying another car. A guy at work is thinking about buying an FJ Crusier and I was comparing it to the Jeep. I drove an FJ when they first came out but I wasn't really left with "I have to have it."

See, you can teach an old dog new tricks. :p

Teri,

I've been waiting for the Jeep Gladiator to come out for the longest time:

http://www.allpar.com/model/jeep/gladiator.html

Now that the Unlimited has come out I'm sure the Gladiator is not far behind.

The original specs show the Gladiator with an engine putting out 295 lbs. of torque.

I'm sure it will have the automatic tranny and power windows of the Unlimited. I looked at the Unlimited and wasn't comfortable with the 3,500 lb. towing capacity. I'm towing a 19' BassCat w/ a 200 HP engine and I want just a little more towing capacity. It's no problem for my current truck, a Chevy Silverado Z71. I like the style of the Gladiator but it's going to have to have more power than the Unlimited for me to pull the trigger.

I have a 05 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sahara and it's a Jeep no matter how you dress it up it's still a jeep and they all ride like a jeep thats why I got a 06 Chrysler 300C. I would never try to tow with it thats why we kep buying trucks to haul with. We are going to keep the jeep at our home in NC and the Chrysler 300C in NH and drive the Dodge back and forth.

Cass

I used to tow my 16' ProAngler with a Wrangler. It towed it fine, but I wouldn't trust it with anything bigger.

Like Cass said, it is a Jeep and buy it because it is a Jeep, for fun not for comfort! I really miss mine. Once my truck is paid off, I am going to get an old used half door soft top model just for summer play!

Rich D

Cass, good to hear from you. Wondering how you've been. How close are you to Mooresville NC?

WOW, I really like that Gladiator! I'm giving some thought to maybe getting a 4 door Rubicon. If they would bring out the Gladiator in the next year or so I may have to re-think.

HI Teri, We are staying at the beach (Ocean Isle Beach) until sometime in May when our house is finished being built then heading back to NH for the summer. We are 5 hours from Mooresville, NC. It's great down here!

Cass

I have a Wrangler (93, 4.0HO, YJ) LOVE it, love the rough ride (mine has the old leaf/shock suspension). It has 240,000 miles on it. It is a pureblood jeep. Buy a Jeep to be a Jeep, would I tow with it?? Never. I do tow my little 2 man pvc boat (and used to tw a pop-up trailer) and I have backed it down the side of a mountain to launch in a secluded lake but nothing heavier.

TOXIC

Back