Jackplate on a Z7

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja 252

Reaction score
I plan on upgrading to a Z7 this winter. I'm probably getting a 150 Opti, but I'd like to get a 175 or 175 Pro XS Opti if I can swing it.

I also can't decide if I need a jackplate. Why do you see them on Z8's and Z9's, but not to much on Z7's? It would make it a lot easier to dial in the height of the engine, but after that's done what do I gain? Anyone run their Z7 without one and then add it, what did you gain? Any other benefits other than a little top end? If I'm going to get one maybe I should go all out and get a hydraulic one to get the benefits of raising and lowering the engine on the go.

Baja, the reason for the jack on my 911CDC is the hull design, it requires the jack to bolt the engine on, it was the same on my 901, they designed the hull on them so you had to use a jack, looking at the pictures on the 7 it does not appear the transom is built that way. As for gains? yes et up is more easy to do, however my history tells me the factory height will put you very close on a Nitro, you likley will gain a bit in hole shot, and possibly 1-2 MPH on top end.

Yes you want the plate for sure. You will never get the most out of it without one. Dont let the sales guy try and talk you out of it.

If you go up to the 175 sped the little extra and get the XS model. for hte few hundred extra is costs over the 175 its worth it.

Majority of z7s around here all have 6 inch plates. get the plate

Thanks for the help. I know 6" is the most common size but what about a 8" plate" Is that to big? Anyone have a hydraulic one?

E5Zero, how fast is your Z7 with a 175xs? I'm not really interested in a 175xs for the extra top speed, I'm considering it because a couple of people have said a 150 Opti is very sluggish out of the hole when loaded down with 2 people, full gear and full livewell.

Baja 252 I have the 175 Pro XS on my z7 too. With the prop i normally run( 24 tempest) i get close to 68 out of it. Ive done over 70 with a 25 but i dont like that prop with two people.

As far as the holeashot goes, sluggish is a very subjective thing IMHO. Ive been in 20' boats with 225hp motors where someone has needed to head to the front to get it in plane with a full well. Reality is none of the motors will give you an instant holeshot or even anything close to it when you load it down. Mine with the 175XS will get up in 5 seconds or so with a wull well and two guys. My 882 i had beofre that with a 150 was similar. I dont think the 150 would be a problem if its setup right( correct prop and motor height). I dont know about the opti 150 but there is a guy on this site that has a 150efi on his Z7 that i helped setup and i think his boat may be a little bette rout of the hole then mine is. He is turning a 23 tempest vs the 24 i run. Granted i kill him on the top end but his holeshot is the same or slightly better then mine is.

Baja, I am running a 24p Trophy right now. I bought it as a spare and like the way it handles better than the Tempest, although I am going to put the Tempest back on soon. Part of it for me was learning to drive the boat. The Trophy has a great hole shot and sticks better in rough water and turns, but is slower on the top end. As to speed, I get a good 62 plus out of it, but the chine walk gets a little hairy when I am solo. Right now I do not have a hotfoot or blinker trim. The blinker trim is coming soon. On the hotfoot I need to sit in one first, I am not a little guy and I wonder if I would be cramped using a hotfoot.

Someone recently told me he sat in an 08 and was cramped by the console/steering wheel and they had changed the 09 console/steering wheel and was not cramped. Mine is the 09 so I wouldn"t know about the 08 but I am 210# and 6'2" and though I like stretching my long legs out find the hot foot comfortable now that I have used it a few times. I mounted it back as far as it would go. But to answer your original question, I never ran mine without a JP and I went with the 5.5" manual because I already had it and the only available one from Tracker is the 6".

For Eddie

Hotfoot side a.JPG

Hey Jimmy, thanks for the pic. I have read they changed the consoles for 2010, but I am not sure on 2009. If you have a pic handy of your console, shoot me an email sometime for comparison. See ya.

Latest posts

Back