jack plate skid plate

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tant dowell

Reaction score
ok guys, I've got a 2006 Procraft 200 superpro w/ 200 Opti 23"LaserII. only able to get 61 mph where everyone else is getting 70. seems everyone is running a 25" prop. will that give me that much more speed. also i have a lot of backwash when I sit down, someone said that if a put a Jackplate/skidplate( a cover) on the bottom of my 10" jack plate this will prevent it. anyone tried this or done .....Thanks

I would agree that you should be running a larger prop, and a Laser II really wouldn't be my first choice on a Merc Opti 200. If it were me, I'd throw a 25 Tempest on there and see what it will do then.

On the "skid plate" - better known as a "hole shot plate" - I would install one, but I would have to disagree with any suggestion that it will totally eliminate or "prevent" backwash when you set down. I know this may seem like a dumb question to many, but I have to ask, because not a lot of people know - Are you feathering the throttle a little when your boat first comes all the way down off plane, or are you just completely taking off the throttle and staying off of it until your boat completely comes to rest? If you aren't feathering the throttle - that may be your main problem.

The plate you are speaking of was meant to help with hole shot. An "old racers trick" with manual jackplates was deflating a basketball, placing it in the jackplate "void", and then filling it back up. The basketball kept most of the water from splashing up into it, which would (without the ball) create a little miniature metal "parachute" in the back of your boat - effectively killing your holeshot. Some of them may grab water when you are coming off of plane and set you down a bit faster and harder than necessary, and in the process, may throw some additional water on the back deck, both through the jackplate void, and from the rest of the stern. However, feathering the throttle a bit normally helps greatly - with or without the plate.

Long way around it, I know... but in the end - I'd recommend anyone that has a 8" or bigger plate (and even those with 6's on occasion) install a hole shot plate on it - just for the reason it was designed - to help with hole shot. A 10" plate - I wouldn't think about using one without it.

All the best,

Glenn

In addition to the great advice Glenn gave, trim down as you're throttling back to greatly reduce backwash. ;)

Back