is this a good deal?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis swift

Reaction score
Hey guys I know you will get me some good info on this subject. I'm about to sell my cajun boat for $2700 and I'm going to try and find an aluminum tracker type of boat in the 16 to 17ft range with a 25 to 40hp motor. there is one here in the paper in wichita, ks that is a 1981 with a 25hp motor for $2200 obo. Is this a good deal? Do any of you have an opion on owning an aluminum boat that is that old and do you guys think I can get a decent boat bought for the $2700 that i'm selling my other one for? One thing is certain is that the boats in the papers are much more resonable than the dealers have to offer. The wife said I can't spend anymore than what I sell mine for so that is and issue to. Any replys will be appreciated.

thanks,

travis

Well there are a few things I would be sure to go over...one is the rivets.....older alum boats will be rivited....these will pop out and leak, its going to happen no matter how well you care for your boat.....buts its usually a pretty cheap repair. 2nd there will be wood in the boat....check the transom area really well.....it could cost you some money if you have to replace the transom. 3rd make sure you have a cerified mechanic look over the engine....check compression and things like that.

A 1981, man oh man, I would have to agree with JimBob, that is too old to trailer dude. Those rivets will be flying off faster than a prom dress on prom night. Get something new and welded if possible.

Now come on boys, don't beat us ol' rivet guys up. My boat is 27 years old and i've had it the last 8 years and all my rivets are fine. I do get water in the boat (that's what bilge pumps are for), but I've never found a missing rivet. I haven't inspected all of them for how tight they still were, but I know there aren't any missing ones. With this boat being flat bottom, it doesn't exactly cut or skim through the water, more like skips like a large rock. That would want to break a rivet or two more than hauling on the roads.

To the topic at hand, for $2,200, that boat had better be in VERY good shape, the carpet and seats need to be new or newer and the decking in great shape (like mine :D). The motor is only 25hp which is small for that boat, but like everyone says, if it checks out fine with a mechanic it'll be fine, but still. It seems a little high priced to me. I bought mine for $1,000 8 years ago with a very well running 55hp motor. I've spent around $600 (not including the second motor i purchased) on it redecking it completely and some electronics but I know I'd never get that much back out of it. If you're getting $2,700 for your old one, I assume you have some play room for price and in that range, you should be able to find one much newer.

Mike Harrison aka StanAramus the somewhat Great

Back