Is it spring yet???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob LaMoy

Reaction score
Well, my pipes failed their first sub zero test....but so did everyone else's so I don't feel bad. One set of lines feeding my bathroom sink froze up the other night, but I thawed them before they burst. Only reason they did was a defective heating tape which is now replaced. Restaurants are closed with no water and frozen pipes. Couldn't get coffee in a few shops cause they're froze up too. Everyone is running around with hairdryers and salamanders! LOL Lake is makin ice fast now. My bar won't get above 58 with the 'stat at 80 AND 2 oil filled space heaters in there also! Gotta a new door coming to help with the draft and a wood insert for the fireplace. Once I heat up that 8' X 12' chunk of brick surrounding the fireplace with a wood insert, it will go from 58 to 88 no problem. Comeon spring!!!!! Good news is, I'm so busy, I don't even notice as the weeks fly by. If I'm not careful, it will be mid May and my boat won't be wet yet......NEVER!

Long time no type!! Good to hear from you Rob. I've got 2 fireplaces goin (1 gas, 1 wood) the heat pump and the furnace, LOL but it's only 13 ABOVE here in VA!!

TOXIC

Good to hear from you Rob. I know what you guys are talking about. Its 34 here in Jax, Fl. May have to make the wife wear socks to bed. lol Robert

Well Rob, best thing to do is think warm thoughts or if you're a praying man.... Good to hear from ya!

Hi Rob, I'm wondering what you mean when you say bar ??

In Minnesota they have to build the exterior walls with 2x6's that helps . They also have to completely wrap the interior in plastic. Its not uncommon to have temps in the -10 to -20 in the twin cities area and even colder up north.

I use a wood insert and its great . Cut my heating bills in half.Make sure you burn only hard woods. Red oak has I believe the highest BTU,s the heavier the wood the more BTU;s it probably has.I bought an older one that the people had in their northern cabin . They only used it know and then and it was like new 1/4 steel.The newer ones are required to have catalytic converters to reburn the exhaust only problem with that is they don't through as mush heat and of course they cost a lot more .

mARK g.

Rob,

Hope that things are going good for you!!! Glad that you caught the pipes prior to the bursting point!!!!

Stay warm!!

Carlos

I'm just a little south of you here in NY and have the same problem. The battle of frozen pipes, all part of living in the north country. Got to love it.

Dave

Back