Is a Keel Shield worth it???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen lesieur

Reaction score
I am buying a 1997 Nitro nx882

Should I buy a keel shield???

opinions??

thanks guys

Fish ON!!!

I have had one on each of my last 6 boats. It is well worth the nominal investment. Toxic is our resident expert / sponsor for KeelShield and he will chime in.

In A Word. !YES!

if you plan on beaching your boat at any point, it is well worth the cost. i installed one on my 882 the day i bought it. 5 yrs later it is still holding on strong.

GregD:)

It's on my list of stuff to get for my boat....unfortunately the list is growing rapidly from the top. :blink:

I don't plan on beaching it ever, but what if i run over a log or debris in water.??

I think that depends on your speed. If you run over a log when you're putting around on your trolling motor, it might help if you hit right on the front keel. If you're going 50 or 60 mph and you hit a log, I don't think that Keelshield is going to help much. :wacko:

If you won't ever beach it you don't need it. If you do, and fish alone, you really need one.

Well, you may never "plan" on beaching your boat but it happens. Emergency nature call....storm comes up fast.....debris thrown up from the road (actually happened to me). Case in point, I had to rescue some people off a burning boat (a 30 foot cabin cruiser). When we got the fire out, I towed it back to their ramp. Close quarters, long rope and I had to beach at a pretty good clip to get it to the ramp. Another scenerio is running in rivers or anywhere there is debris in the water. The shield actually goes down far enough to protect the keel to where it flattens out. Had a Bass Pro employee come up to me in New York who hit a log at 50mph. He had pictures. Busted the skeg off his motor, ripped the bottom of his shield but he was convinced that he would have damaged his hull without it. Moral of all this.......cheap insurance. Very, very few boats don't have some kind of shield protection. KeelShield has a lifetime guarantee and is a good product. If you decide you want one, email me and I'll get you a better than retail deal.

TOXIC

Definitely worth it. Docks are not in place here during early season, so ya have to beach your boat if you wanna fish. I never thought I would beach mine either.....but now I launch by myself by dragging it back to shore with a rope connected from the winch strap to the bow eye.

Bob G.

I think its a definitely cheap insurance if you plan on beaching your boat or not. There may be a time when you have to beach and you didn't plan on it . Anything you it will probably it the keel first. So why take the chance.

KEELSHIELD TOP OF PAGE .

MARK :)

I just got one, to late. I have had my boat for 12 years with only a couple scratches. I had to beach my boat recently and chipped the keel pretty bad. I can truly say I don't like the way it looks, just me. However it does look better than chips, scratches. Tox, understand me here. I am not knocking it, just rather see the boat without it. Old people are old fashion.

Bubby:)

I understand, some like clean lines. I just didn't feel there was a choice. Plus my keel was getting a litttle banged up. Looks a lot better than the chips!! At the tournament today I had to tie off to a low dock, nose first. The keel bounced up and down on the dock edge all through the weigh-in. Nary a mark!!

TOXIC

I am getting one :)

A WHITE one :)

Mini

Definitely. My brother-in-law just told me his tale of woe yesterday, about the hole in his hull. After he fixes it, he is going to get a keelshield.

Do the math. Buy the Keelshield.

Tex

Back