Interesting info......for what it's worth...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Saw this on BassFan.....regarding the concerns of the new Z Series deck lid stringers getting "too hot"...(I thought the same thing when I first saw them)

Z boat update 9/17/2004

Re: all the comments about the aluminum stringers on Ranger's new Z Series Comanche and how hot they would get in the sun, Ranger Boats' David Sneed said the following:

"As we've indicated to all who have inquired, the initial extruded channels shown were prototypes and did not have the ceramic thermal barrier coating on them. During a recent stay in Las Vegas, we did some additional testing on Lake Mead. The Z-Comanche models were left in the direct sun and desert heat for several days while our engineering staff took temperature measurements from numerous locations on the boat throughout the day. The end result was that, no matter the time of day, the rails never exceeded the temperature of the carpet. In fact, they were actually cooler than the carpet itself by as much as 8-9 degrees.

"Out of curiosity, the staff also measured the temperature radiating off of the inside of aluminum lids on competitive boats with results showing the lids to be twenty degrees hotter than the warmest reading taken on our extruded rails. They also did some research on livewell water temperatures and found that the water in livewells with aluminum lids ran 8-9 degrees hotter than our wells with fiberglass lids. Interesting information when one considers the effect heat has on fish and water oxygen levels

Mac,

Read the same story when it first came out. The only thing that has suprised me in all this, is the fact that Ranger didn't quite have it 'ready' for the show. Other than that, Ranger will get most of these type of pesky bugs worked out. Just too good a company/history to do anything but that.

Tex

Agreed,.....plus the fact that only 7 people in the whole company worked on that project from start to finish...and they kept it all so quiet! Amazing....I'm sure they just wanted to get that one built in time for the unvailing at the FLW Championship....even if it was a prototype. The auto companies all do the same thing for their shows too....their prototype "show cars" rarely resemble the actual production models...little tweaks are made here and there, before they go into full scale production..especially cosmetically.

Even Forrest Wood never saw a picture of the "Z-Series" until he was on the plane flying down to the BMC. The whole project was extremely confidential!! I'm anxious to see one in person....I don't know anymore about it than what's on the web....but from what I've heard anyway...it's very impressive. Will have to wait and see...

Well, you know that there are a group that have already complained about it, but the reality is that you need to see/run/use a production model before passing judgement.

The killer thing to me is that many people fish out of ONE type of boat. Being a non-boater the past several years has given me the opportunity to fish out of Rangers, Skeeters, Nitros, Stratos, Champion, Tritons and others. Some new, some older, some even older. Gives one a differnt perspective in the fine points of various boats.

Tex

Exactly,....I've driven many different brands and rode in even more,....and there are pro's and con's about ALL of them. I REALLY liked my Champion for the rough water ride and I really like my Ranger too. I liked the storage and the speed of my 896 and the same was true for my 901, but the 896 was a spinecrusher in rough water and my 901 was a little light in the nose,..but that was good for rough water too...especially when keeping the nose up in BIG waves....the down side was that the waves seemed to hit right under the consoles and that would rattle your molars!

The only boat brand that I would deffinitely NOT own up here is a Gambler....they don't do well in 3-4ftr's!! LOL

The older I get,...the more emphasis I put on "comfort" over "speed". LOL

Pretty soon it will be a Scales and Tales Pontoon! LOL!!

Thanks Mac, for posting this...

Those rails were my "first" thought about the new ranger...

Interesting about the "ceramic thermal barrier"... now if only we could get that on trolling motor pedals and the carpet itself!

No problem Sim,....I know this is a N-T website,..so I'll keep my "other brand" talk to a minimum..but I know a lot of people here had mentioned that "heat" concern before, when talk of the new model popped up here,...so I thought I'd post it as new info. Just goes to show the depth of thought and R&D that can go into a new design if they want to get it right...a "ceramic thermal barrier"...Giter-Done! LOL

ohwell...back to work,..carry on folks,...i'm out!

Man..Glad to see you didn't leave Mac:) I know my aluminum lids WITHOUT the foam insulation sure do get hot but, the insulated ones don't seem to.

I'll stick around and see what happens here TEE,....I just don't have the time anymore to post like I use too,...but if I can contribute something worthwhile, I will.

Tee I agree on the inside of the Aluminium lids, I keep saying I'm going buy some soft insulation material and qlue it in the lids of each compartment.

Trep

Love the new boat..Maybe take one out for a ride...Of course I love Ranger....Jr

My old 94 Pro Team had two livewells...The front well had insulation and the back..none:( Go figure. LOL

Back