Interesting,......anyone REALLY surprised??

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill McElroy

Reaction score
Taken from BASSFAN today!!

Tidbits 6/21/2004

> How can it be that one of the hottest anglers in bass fishing, Mike Iaconelli, doesn't have a boat deal?

> One of the most lucrative sponsorship deals in fishing, Team Crown Royal, is history. Now-former Crown Royal anglers include Aaron Martens, Peter Thliveros, Mike Wurm and Skeet Reese.

> Apparently charges are being filed by Stacey King, BASS photographer Gerald Crawford and the other two people in the boats in connection with the shooting at the Alabama River Bassmaster Elite 50.

On Mike Iaconelli, it was reported that he was fishing in a Skeeter this past tournament in the E50 event at KY.

I think that some of those lucrative sponsorships deals that are on the 'fringe' of the angling world, will keep going away. Crown Royal and fishing just didn't seem to go together too well. Not that unusual for a bunch of anglers to get together over some cold brew after a tourney.

I had head that King had decided to file charges after he found a bullet hole in his boat.

Tex

Mac...

I wonder if Team Crown Royal got out of the Walleye game as well?

I hope Mike I gets a deal soon... I like the guy... His "enthusiasm" is real... I know it turns some people off but he is just being himself.

Yeah, the Crown Royal deal is big talk here right now. Guys like Peter T and Aaron will have no problem finding other teams though. Skeet will still get his Champion deal, Mike Wurm is taken care of by Ranger, but as for entry fees and salaries....who knows. That's pro fishing in today's world.

There may be "other" things in the works with JDC marketing anyway (they did the Crown Royal gig) but we'll see,..those guys aren't going to be out of gig for very long,...besides, they're use to "blips" on their radar screens,....they've been dealing with that stuff their entire careers!!...It happens all the time!

Seagrams pulled the budget last week after dumping MAJOR $$$ into a NASCAR deal. (I forget the driver's name.) John's got other irons in the fire and hopefully something will pop. As for now, the whole Crown Team is history. It caught just about all the fellas off guard. (Especially John!) He's had Team Havoline, Team Texaco, and the Crown Royal Team, so him putting together a new one is a pretty sure bet.

Stacey was pretty much going to let the deal lie, until he found the bullet hole in his hull. Now he's got to take time away from fishing (read: lose income) to pursue what the DNR should have done in the first place. Local DNR taking sides with a local idiot. Imagine that. (Can you say N'awlens!) It's going to come down to a firefight on the water some day with this continual display of the local authorities doing everything but their job. Thank God it doesn't happen around here. (Only an idiot would fire at a fisherman in Georgia, unless he wants return fire!)

As for Iaconelli...

There are numerous reasons why he can not capitalize on what few have been able to accomplish. Sponsors want to hitch their wagon to a race horse, not a jack**s. (I've fished many tournaments with the gentleman and have seen some of the most outrageous/unsportsmanlike behavior from him first hand.) Being a good fisherman is important, however being a good person is the key!

I share some things with Ike... Ike has a polarizing personality.. you either like him or you hate him. Seems I have some of those followers too (at least on the hate side) :).

Let's look at a few other top anglers... (top 50). Gary Klein is liked by most everyone, maybe everyone. But he's quiet, relaxed, and doesn't talk much. I feel he gets passed over often because of it. Denny Brauer, on the other hand, has absolutely no problem getting and retaining sponsors. However, in my opinion, his "entertainment value" isn't as high as others. I'm not saying he doesn't have a lot of knowledge nor that he's not a TOP angler, but his "down home" mannerisms makes him more regional in his following.

The one I can't figure out though is Kevin Van Dam. I never really thought much about him (as in never gave him much thought, not that I didn't like him) until I started watching the Elite 50 events. He's GOOD, he can talk while fishing (Klein doesn't like to), and is personable. Why he doesn't have a boat deal from Ranger is beyond me (owning a Ranger gets you more payout in FLW tourneys). I'm not bashing Nitro, just surprised he isn't getting more expensive freebie boats. I don't know why he doesn't have his own show, unless he's too busy competing.

Jay Yelas should have profited more from his run a couple of years ago, but I honestly believe he hurt himself by "taking the moral high road".

I'd really like to see Van Dam do more TV stuff. And to think a couple of years ago when Bass Pro was giving away a "fish with your favorite pro" and one of them was Van Dam, I wouldn't have chosen him. That's all changed now that I've had a chance to see him in action.

my sentiments exactly Dan,.....plus the fact that after he won the Classic,...his newly hired "PR & Mgt Staff" priced himself right out of the market!! Nice job!! Why he felt like he needed to hire a PR staff is beyond me,...but it backfired on him in a big way,.....he doesn't have a boat or motor sponsor anymore,...and his current reign is almost over,....that was a PR disaster in my opinion!!!

Back