information on engine setup (TV-18, NX750...)

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce Yeaton

Reaction score
I guess this could go in a couple categories but figured this one fit the bill as a first step.

While I was visiting the dealer yesterday to look at the NX750 / 115 Opti being setup I got to talk with one of the mechanics in the shop that was setting up the boat.

As we talked about the boat, I noticed the engine height of the Opti and asked him about it. It was set in the 3rd hole (1 1/2") from the top and said that was recommended from the factory. He also mentioned he had just worked on my boat and noticed my engine height was wrong??? I told him that's how I picked it up and was wondering about raising it (currently set on lowest setting). He said it should be on the 3rd hole as well....specs from the factory. He mentioned hole shot would improve and overall handling would be better. He also mentioned adding a second steering cable. I did not know anything about it before this, but I guess it's an added steering cable to add better responce.

For those who were wondering about this, you may want to talk with your dealer about your setup if you are on the lowest hole! Also talk with your service manager about the setup of the boat or any recommended additions that the salesman may not know about.

The added steering cable is called dual cable steering (sorry, I just remembered the name for it)

Bruce,

My TV-18/115 is mounted on the 2nd hole. This is pretty close to what the motor install manual recommends. The manual also states that increasing the motor height will provide less steering torque, more top speed, greater stability, but may cause more prop "break loose" under heavy load.

The manual also states that the motor height setting should allow the exhaust relief hole to remain 1" above the water line at idle speed to prevent exhaust restriction/poor idle. My setup puts the exhaust relief pretty close to the water line, and I have noticed a rougher idle when trimmed all the way down.

I have thought of moving my motor up a notch to the 3rd hole, to gain a little top end. I'm pretty satisfied with my performance, so for now I'm content to leave it alone.

Jeff,

What are you running for speed in that with the 115? I believe each hole is only 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch difference. With mine on the lowest setting I get alot of steering torque at wot and trimmed as much as I can get it. If I was keeping the boat (and still may) I'd have them set it to the 3rd one while it was in the shop.

Are these height setting specific to the horsepower of the motor or to the boat???

My 90hp/TV-18 is set all the way down...

curious,

az

Bruce,

Speedwise, I'm maxing out about 48-50 (gps) depending on load. Speedo says 51-53. With the anti-feedback steering I do not feel the steering torque. However, I do notice that I must turn the wheel slightly as I trim up to keep the boat heading straight.

Andy, the motor installation manual is for 75-125 hp and does not appear to specify any different setup for these motors. Also, the prop you run might make a difference on how high you mount the motor. I'm running a 23" LaserII Stainless.

I'm no expert on this, just reading from the motor install manual. The dealer left it in my boat when I picked it up. If you want, I can post the page showing recommended heights.

--Jeff.

Ok, no problem. I'll need to scan it in tonight. I'll update this post when done.

Ok, my scanner is on the blink so the image is not perfect. It might print ok, just set image to fit page.

Keep in mind, this is the motor install manual (75-125 hp) and does not specify the type of hull.

Merc75-125Install.jpg

Back