Ice on boat ramp

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.G. MARVETS2

Reaction score
Alright guys, just wanted to get some expert ideas on what to do when you have ice on the ramps.

We are having a club fishoff on Sunday in Eufaula, Alabama. We down here in the south are not used to BELOW FREEZING TEMPS and they are calling for a low of 22. So any little tips you have will be great.

#1 DO NOT TRY AND HELP PUSH A TRUCK UP THE RAMP. #2 DO NOT MAKE ANY SUDDEN MOVES LIKE JUMPING OFF OF THE DOCK TO BREAK RULE #1. #3 GO PRACTICE AT AN ICE SKATING RINK #4 PASS AND FISH NEXT WEEKEND.

I am not yelling but I wanted to get my point across. If you don't have to do it don't. Salt and sand will help Like Pat said, but you still need to becareful around the docks and stuff.

BF

If it isnt too far from the top of the ramp to the waterline I would have a rig maybe two with a winch (Block the tires) and slowly retrieve each Rig. Or, you get a couple of your biggest windbags (All clubs have them) and have them stand near the launch area. The Hot air will keep the ice conditions at bay.

Max <><:cool:

Winch... And, tell everyone to "drain" their trailer after they pull up (let the water run off and out at the edge) the ramp...

Us wallleye guys have 4X4 trucks and deal with this all the time...

Actually, I've found that ice on the ramp helps get the shanty out easier. Just make sure you have a good foot of ice everywhere before taking the boat out with you. Don't want to break thru.

I would salt and sand the crap out of it the night before the launch and keep an eye on it as the launching progresses. The winch deal is a very good idea as well. I personally don't think you will have much of a problem since the water temps should be a little warmer than freezing. I would still have a few guys on guard to do nothing but watch for icy conditions at the launch. Better safe than sorry.

Water temps have been mid 50's in Eufala the past few weeks, shouldn't be too much of a problem. Sand and rocksalt wouldn't be a bad idea just in case.

Floor mats work well too in a pinch.

I've been catchin em shallow the past few weeks, but this cold snap has probably moved them deeper.

JS

Cat Litter---- Cheap and works great..Can get 10# of wallmart brand for $1-$1.25..

Rick

I don't know what the ground conditions are down in Alabama but I suspect you don't have a problem. Unless the concrete temp has dropped below freezing the water should just run back in like normal and no ice should form. Do the roads and sidewalks ice over during these cold snaps down there normally? as long as ground and ramp temps are above freezing you should be ok. if they aren't then do what everyone said.

Back