IBM Thinkpad

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
I've done a little searching around.

It wont be until may that i probably order one but i like to think ahead.

Anyway, as of right now this is what i'm looking at. I'm not just real computer litereate...i know how to turn it on and use it so please help with what some stuff means.

Ok here it is.

IBM thinkpad R51

30 gb hard drive

256 mb memory

windows xp proffesional

I guess thats the basic stuff. Ok 30 gb hard drive, is that enough????

256 memory will probably be upgraded to 512.

I have no clue when it comes to laptops....thanks for your help.

BJ

Increase the memory.... At least the 512... XP is not real happy with less than that...

BJ, Are you going to start using the new laptop in May for school or getting it ahead of time? I would suggest waiting until just before school starts to get the laptop. The market changes monthly and you will get more bang for your buck by waiting until you are going to actually need the unit.

On the configuration of the laptop, the first thing that should be asked is how much do you have to spend and next is what are you going to use it for?

1. School work

2. Attached to a power source or on the go

2. Gaming

3. Graphics

4. Music

5. Watch TV

6. Burn CDs and or DVDs, MP3s

As previously stated the more memory the better the machine performs, if you are going to us the unit on the go without a power source battery life is very important. If you are going to do any gaming 128bit video game card will make a difference and the screen resolution will make an impact.

If gaming or graphics is part of your usage you will find other manufactures product more desirable. IBM

Memory, memory and more memory. Load it up with as much as you can afford.

Your hard drive space needs, is probably directly proportional to how much 'junk' you like on your machine. MP3, Videos and photo's eat up a lot of space.

Will you be using photoshop, for any reason? If so, get both more memory and a larger hard drive.

Tex

Thanks.

I'll probly wait till august to order it then..good point!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

Back