I took it out Sat./water pressure problem

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took it out on Sat and got it on plain twice. I caught a few bass and decide to make a run to one of by crappie holes. I went to get it on plain and at about 2500 rpms. the alarm came on. "SCARED THE **** OUT OF ME " what a alarm I jumped about 3 feet out my seat This is my first boat and the first time I heard a alarm in the driver's seat. My buddy said it was a propeler? a rubber part that spins around and push the water to your motor and that you usually have to replace them around 2 to 3 years and since its a 2004 the 1st owner never had to replace anything and never had to do alot of maintenance work on it, that you usually have to replace these little thing around the 2nd or 3rd year. What do you guys think?

It is called the Impeller. it is recomended by most that you replace it evry three yrs or so. it depends on hours of motor operation.

if you do it on a three year interval, you can't go wrong.

GregD

You should have a "pee stream" coming out of the side of the engine. That tells you the impeller is pumping water. If it is not peeing, you have a bad impeller or an obstruction. Once I had dirt dobbers make a nest in the pee hole of a previous boat, it scared the crap out of me when it did not pee one day. Opened it up with some weed eater line. Always look for the stream. You also may have a pressure gauge. Mine reads about 10PSI on my 90.

Berry i had a pee stream it never stop peeing once but when i got over 2500 rpms the psi would drop and alarm would go off. I also read about 10psi before this happen

Strange, never heard of the pressure going down when the RPM's go up (I'm sure no pro). I'd change the impeller and see if it fixes your problem. It is a fairly easy job- I did one this past January on my last boat. Its a lot easier with a buddy. I buy my impellers at Boaters World and the gasket at the Bass Pro service center. If you need a diagram you should be able to find on line. On mine you put it in neutral, drop the lower unit, remove the cover and change the impeller (there is a key to hold it on the shaft), put on the new gasket and cover (clean the surgaces if it needs it), and re-install the lower unit. Be careful so you don't change the gears as it is easy to do. If you do accidentally do it you will have to remove the LU and change it with small vise grips. It calls for 2-4-C grease on the shaft gears and on the impeller itself. It's also a good time to change the LU oil, but if you live where it freezes you may want to wait a month or 2. Good luck.

Just thought of something. Make sure you are not over trimming your engine. If it trims up too high you can reduce the water intake. I have a trim limiter, so I suspect you do too, but it could be set incorrectly. I'm guessing at 2,500 you are not there, but its a thought.

Are you sure it's a water pressure problem. My buddys boat did that when it was low on oil. So at blast off the boats nose will come up causing all the oil to drift back giving the motor the impression that there was no oil. So as it got on plane the alarm would stop. This was a quick fix...add more oil. Just my two cents.

Greg I had the same problem with the oil. I had to big of a prop on and it was taking a long time for my Fish n'ski to get up on plane. The oil tank had to be at least half full or the alarm was going off. I put oil in and the alarm stopped. I also pulled off the big prop and dropped back down to the smaller prop. It jumps up on plane now so the angle isn't bad enough to cause a problem when the oil tank is half full, RPM's are alot better also.

Latest posts

Back