I need help...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hugh Hentz

Reaction score
Okay, I need input. I just got a new job in Tracker Boats sales. I want to know the best experience you've had with a Tracker salesperson, and the worst experience that you've had with a Tracker salesperson. My goal is to never have a customer leave dissatisified (within reason, of course. NO FREE BOATS! ;) ). I know it's a great boat, I have great confidence in the business where I work, so now I need to get some pre-emptive feedback.

When I bought mine, the experience was great. NO pressure, he just let me pick what I wanted. That's the kinda salesman everyone should be!!

I will say that if your company doesn't have a on-water test drive program, urge them to get/ start one. The only negative about my experience was that I couldn't drive the boat first.

Good luck in your new venture!!

-J

I would think preformance and option upgrades let them know up front what to expect with or with out each of them.

like the preformance between the boat say with a 150 hp or a 200 hp. or

Trolling motor 54 lbs or a 82lbs 12 or 24 volt explane the Pro's and con's.

to me I would rather pay now then be disapointed and try to upgrade later.

be honest even if it might throw the deal if you do them right they will be back and so will there friends. Just listen to what they are looking for and help them out the best you can and get the most boat for there buck. JMHO

Hutch

Actually, I think the number one thing that my salesman did was to discuss my fishing with me to help me buy the boat I needed and not what I wanted or what was popular. I agree with Hutch 911; my salesman was able to discuss the implications and consequences of package items, upgrades, and downgrades clearly. He made it clear that he wanted to sell a boat without making me think that selling a boat was the number one thing on his mind.

When I ordered my Tundra the sales guy didn't know much about the boat. He had to read off the brochure. ( I could do that ) I know they don't sell Tundras much in Florida but sales should know about every boat their company has.

Follow up with the customer would be nice also.

I bought my boat loaded but I agree with every thing Hutch 911 says about options.

Good luck,

Troy:D

I bought my boat used, but I have had contact with a few Nitro dealers since. I would say be honest and offer good support on warranty work. Even if you are not the contact for repairs if you know a boat you sold is in for work keep a breast of the situation.

HP

OK...

So here is my take on the Nitro series of the company. When purchased my first boat way way back the dealer a multi boat dealer and would often use the Trackers as a loss leader to sell his other boat line.

A lot of the sales guys don't take the time to go out and learn the product they are selling, sure they study the book but not how the boat performs under certain situations. There for they can't truthfully answere a lot of the questiosn that boat buyers ask.

Another problem is they rarely ask what the persons experience is in boat operations. I believe the various knowledge levels make a big differnce as to how well a boat will handle, perform and last.

Case in point if you sell a 591 to a new boat owner with very little experience and tell them the boat handles 3 and 4 footers easily and will run as fast as a scalded cat (even though these are true statements) because the next thing you know the guy will be out in 3 foot chop running on full pad and blowing by every thing in site. Sure the boat will do it but I guarantee you it will shake every thing loose, off or out of the boat. ANY Boat!

Do your home work, set up some days to go out with your State Team guys. Do some slow speed manovers experience rough water, chine walk, side waves and putting the boat on the trailer. If you find a short coming that you notice don't hide it, but reiforce the great qualities your see.

In my case I was looking for a value boat, with not a lot of costs involved. I wasn't looking for a bullet proof boat just one I could afford.

Boat buyers are depending on sales people to be knowledgable and proficient in the stuff they are selling...Do your home work!

http://greggutierrezfishing.com/

My best experience is the truthfullness the Tracker Sales had with my last purchase. He knewme already and knew I fished local tournaments. I told him what I was looking for and we came to a decision. Any short comings of the boat I discussed with him and he took care of them. He also quickly took care of them. The service department also went over the boat with me and took me for my initial shake down ride.

Overall a great experience. Not just a sale and out the door.

MOST IMPORTANT he and the service department have taken care of me since (two years). Minor but still nice to know they are there and responsive.

Randy!

I'd agree with the above about knowing your product in and out. I'm not going to list my worst, but I will tell you about my best, so you understand what a "model" salesperson is to me.

Q: How long is this boat?

A: 20' 2". The entire package is 24' 4" without the folding trailer tounge, or 22' 7" with it.

Q: What is the beam?

A: 94" - 7' 10". The entire package is 8' 2" at the widest part of the trailer. How big is your garage?

A: Not that wide.

A: I can get you a boat cover specifically made for it if you plan on leaving it outside.....

That is how the conversation went the entire time. Not only did the saleman know the exact answer for every question I had, he had suggestions for those things that might cause me problems - like the boat not fitting in the garage.

He knew all the little details - what kind of bilge / livewell / recirc / pumpout pumps. How many GPH each of them were. How much oil / gas it held. How many gallons the livewells were. WHAT THE MOST COMMON SETUP RESULTS YEILDED - this was extremely important to me. He asked me what I was using the boat for, how many people were normally in it, how much tackle I usually carried, what kind of water I fished in (rough, calm, etc...), and then he recommened the engine height and proper stainless propeller, and had the crew rig it that way. He did mention that all setups were different, but that this setup was ideal for what I told him. He was pretty much dead on - my boat was almost perfect. The only thing I added was 2" more of setback, and he now recommends that to other people when I told him what it did for me.

Know what you are selling. Don't read the pamphlet in front of me or ask someone else. I can do that. I want you to sell me the boat, which should have already sold itself - I just needed a bit of prodding to jump over the line and sign the paperwork.

Don't lie to someone - if the boat it going to be underpowered, tell them so. You get repeat customers by keeping them happy, not by having them coming back ticked off at you because you sold them a 20 foot boat with a 135 on the back of it and a 40lb trolling motor up front.

All the best,

Glenn

Know the product and if you don't know an answer find out and don't try to BS. You'll need referrals and if you treat people fair and listen to their needs they will recommend you.

Under promise and over deliver is an old saying but very true. Make sure the boat is ready for delivery and clean. Buying a boat is a very big deal for most of us and there is nothing like seeing that clean new boat outside and ready to be pulled home.

Make sure that when you sell someone a boat...it hasn't been setting in the back lot covered in plastic for almost a year without that customer KNOWING it upfront before pick-up.

That was the start of many other problems for me including recieving a new rig after fighting with HQ.

Ive had 4 Trackers, still have 2 of them. These boats practicly sell themselves. Sure, know your product when someone does have a question. But, lets face it, the buying and making payments is only half the experience- introduce the buyer to the service people. No offense but those are the guys Im gonna need to have a long term relationship with.

Drive all the boats in your lineup for a day or as mentioned get the State Team guys to take you but YOU drive the boat. Know what upgrades will be needed to make the rig perform to the customers satisfaction. You'll get accused of "bait and switch" but explain minimum $$ = minimum performance. Throw in some freebies...lifevests, hats, etc. or at least try to get more expensive items (covers for ex.) for them at cost. Just be knowledgable and honest.

TOXIC

Make sure you advise the customer that Tracker Marine Warranty Support does not exist...

Back