I found another ROCK

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Lund

Reaction score
This is a message for the New Bee's running your high speed bass boats.KNOW your water before you run fast.Everyone try's to tweek a few MPH and that is fine but Know your boat and Know the water you run in. I totalled my Mercury last Oct. took everything off from the power head down hitting a rock,(photo's in my file if ya want to see damage) and repowered with a new 90HP Merc, and am still on break-in period.I'm a 30yr. boat owner and have run bass boats for 5 years.I thought I knew the Lake very well but I found another rock and it took my prop and bent the Skeg at a left angel so the steering pulls bad until on plane.Please keep this in mind as we start this fishing season.Be safe , Be smart,take the time to learn:)This is the Best site for your questions @ answers.I am always Lurking in the background and continue to learn from this site.

Now my question is, can my Skeg be reworked to normal ? It is off maybe 10-15 degrees?I have tried to block and seat clamp but no movement.Don't dare to pound on it.....

If I have to replace,(OUCH) anyone have an approx. cost, easy on my heart:(

As always my best to all

Good fishing

Ron

YES,you can straighten the skeg yourself.Here is how I did mine.It was cold so I started by heating the skeg with a 500 watt worklight.Just aim it at the bent part,maybe slightly lower,then check on it in about 15 minutes.You should still be able to touch it.I read that you should not heat it with a torch so I tried this and it worked. Make sure you have 2 medium or large rubber mallets.I bought mine at Harbor Freight for about $6 each.Place one mallet on the opposite side of the skeg then strike it firmly on the other side with the other mallet.This absorbs some of the blow so as not to stress the metal by bending it too fast.This may take 20 or more strikes to notice movement,but it will happen.If you don't see movement in the skeg then hit it harder.I knew I would have to get it repaired if unsuccessful,so I figured I couldn't do any worse damage.Just be patient and after you notice a little movement,don't rush it.Hope this helps and good luck.I read this on a forum somewhere but can't remember who to give credit for it.

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT THE BAD LUCK,KNOWING THE LAKE HELPS BUT WHEN YOU'RE ON PLANE THE ONLY DEFENSE IS INSURANCE COVERAGE.

Thanks Ron C.

I was thinking about heat and maybe a set of jacks to squeeze.Then putting a skeg cover over the lower end.Got to do something as there is to much wheel pull to be safe.I don't know if BPS would tackel this? anyone !

PS- brantley, remind me not to follow you around the lake.If you ever hit a rock or worse at 50 MPH with your wife on board you will change your ways real quick.

Stay safe,Fish on.:rolleyes:

Ron

C'mon Ron give it a try.I bought mine with the skeg bent.It was bent at least 15 degrees and twisted too.If you know a auto body guy,let him pound on it(after he reads the instructions).

I would stay away from heat (seals, fluid, etc.) I dinged mine up & straightened it as best I could. Then I put a Skeggard on it. Good product. Works great, looks great, & it's permanent. Also, it's protected from similar damage down the road. Skeggard...Check it out.

A shop light and a clamp have fixed many a skeg. (I've had 'em look like Free Willy's dorsal fin and come back true.) Your seals are designed to endure heat much higher than the light will produce focused on the skeg. However, as eluded to above, DO NOT USE a torch, flame or even prolonged exposure with a heat gun (high heat blower). Your L/U will regret it. Good luck! ;)

Thanks guys.

I finally got the nerve to slow heat as suggested and pound with two rubber mallets.Managed to get most of the twist out and then changed the Trim Tab on top of the skeg to the neutral postion. Tried the boat for the first time today and wa-la,runs and stears free with no wheel pull .Will add a skeg protector next.

As always my thanks to all.

Good fishing

Ron

Back