Hydraulic Steering

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BJ Laster

Reaction score
What is there to know about Hydraulic Steering? Can it freeze during cooler temps?

Thanks

BJ

I've never heard of hydraulic steering being affected by cooler temps. I've had hydraulic steering on my boats for years, and have stored them / used them in below freezing weather with no problems at all.

What else is there to know about hydraulic steering? Well besides it being the absolute best steering system available for your boat, there are very few things to be aware of that come to mind right now.

1) make sure your helm resevoir is full to manufacturers specs - but don't overfill it... because (go to #2)

2) hydraulic fluid will disolve the glue in your carpet if you spill it / overfill your resevoir.

3) make sure you "bleed" the system correctly and completely when first installing it (just like you do on your car brake system).

I've installed systems on boats before, and they are fairly straighforward to do. It is more work removing the old cable steering from the boat than it was to install the hydraulics. I'd highly recommend them to anyone thinking about upgrading their steering. If you have any specific questions about installation / etc... let me know.

All the best,

Glenn

Thanks Glenn,

I wont be installing it but thanks for the tips!!! I had heard that you should check it to make sure it wasnt frozen.

What kind of maintance does it require, just checking the resevior?

I check the resevoir every once in a while - normally about the time when I check my battery levels. I make sure the steering rams are wiped down every once in a while so they stay clean so that nothing can mess with the seals. Other than that, they are fairly maintenance free. Hope you enjoy it!

All the best,

Glenn

BJ, maybe they were talking about being frozen from sitrting up with moisture in it if it is a used unit. Moisture could cause rust in the pump and and cause it to freez up over a long period. Just a thought.

If I'd know I was going to be stricten with this dnged cancer I would have ordered hydraulic steering for mine and may still have to convert if I survive long enough because I am getting to much pain and to weak enjoy the boat as much as I should with the mechanical steering. Good luck with it.

Back