Hunting for Local Smallies

• Thread starter Marke Cicero [IMG]http://www.zjstech.net/~library/
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marke Cicero

Reaction score
As many of you know I went to Champlain for my fist time in May. Then I went to Rally in June. Now I must go to "Smallies Annonymous". I am hooked on them like crack!!

Seeing as I can't go to Champlain every weekend I have been forced to hunt Smallies closer to home. I am EXTREMELY happy to report that my family and I along with the skills I have learned on Lake Champlain from some guide ( I don't remember his name....LOL) have achieved local Smallie SUCCESS!!!

Here is my 4 year old with a nice one. He didn't catch it, but what deck hand!!! He netted all the fish, kept us rigged with fresh grubs and lizards, clipped all tag ends on new knots and cheered us on as we battled these fighters to the boat.
Dev%20with%20smallie.jpg

Here's Brandyn with his fish. YES, these are HIS fish. He hooked'em, he fought'em and landed'em!!! Yup, I have my partner for next years rally.
Bran%20with%20smallies.jpg

Jill doesn't catch many but when she does....HANG ON!!!

This is the biggest NH Smallie in the boat so far at a little over 3 pounds.. But we're still Huntin'!!
Jill%20with%20smallie.jpg

They may not be as big as the ones at Champlain but they are in good qty and they are very healthy and very strong. I know the big ones are out there and we'll find them.

Marke

Marke,

Disregard my questions on the other post - you answered them here. Nice fish!! You need to show your wife why we have opposable thumbs!! Brandyn definitely knows what he is doing!!

Bob G.

She know's what thumbs are for but she's affraid to use them. Devyn's thumbs just aren't strong enough yet. Rob showed me the belly trick. You rest them on your palm and they curl up and freeze. It's weird, kind of like a pressure point that just paralizes them.

Marke,

I never heard of the belly trick. Rob must have invented it!! I'll try it out this week if I don't get skunked!

Bob G.

For some reason Bob I can't even imagine "Lake Champlain" and "Skunked" being used in the same sentence.

All you have to do is fish the 90% of the water that the fish are not IN and it's a piece of cake!! It is very humbling!! (is that a real word?)

Bob G.

Great Job Big Dog!! Bring the whole family to the Rally next year!! (If schools out that is!!..LOL) (But then again,..it is fun to get away with just the guys for a weekend!!....HAR HAR!!)

Mac

The belly trick is actually more comfortable for the fish. Freshwater trout act the same way. I read an article by an ichthyologist who studied this phenomenon.

The weight of a fish's internal organs is normally supported by the water around the fish. When a fish is taken out of the water, the shift of that weight causes discomfort. When you put your hand under their belly, the weight of their organs is supported by your hand and the fish relaxes. They'll stay still until the oxygen in their bloodstream begins to deplete. Then they'll wiggle agressively, trying to get back into the water.

On other types of fish, it works to rest them upside down! Then the internal organs are supported by the rib cage. Snook (I think) respond to this method.

MOFish

(mah head issa full a useless facts)

Nice fish Marke!!!

Gotta love having the whole family out on the boat...

Now, be truthful...Does Jill bait her own hooks???

hahaha

By the way...

Nice Boat!!!

az

By the way, Marke, tell your family NICE FISH!

I'd love to get on water that holds smallies that large.

Good job grasshoppa! Now I teach you ancient Chinese secret to catch big largemouth!

Awesome pic's...here's a new slogan for you...

Don't smoke crack...go catch a bronzeback!!!

Whew! We luck out! We didn't have to look at pictures of Marke!

Great fish and beautiful family, Marke!

me!

GREAT Fish Marke, and MAN those kids know how to hold fish! Looks like Brandyn is straining to hold those Smallies! I do wish we had Smallie down here, love their fight!

Oh, and i'm sending Beka up to spend some time with Jill to get more comforable on the boat LOL

Latest posts

Back