Humminbird 535 or Matrix 17

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking of upgrading my Humminbird piranhamax 20 with either the Humminbird 535 or the Matrix 17. Has anyone ever used one of these? Is the upgrade worth the $200.00?

I haven't used the 535, but the Matrix is a great unit. Definitely worth the upgrade. I have used the Matrix 15, 17, and 47-3d units. Currently I have the 47 on the bow and a 981SI at the console. Plus Greg Walters frequents the board and is a great source of information.

One thing I would point out, the Matrix will allow you to add a GPS antennae, I don't see that feature on the 535 on Humminbird's site.

Rich D

PAUL:

I HAVE THE MATRIX 17 ON MY TRACKER 18, GREAT UNIT. YOU CAN SET THE DUAL CONE AND SEE THE GRAVEL ON THE BOTTOM. I PUT THE SPEED AND TEMP AND GPS ON IT. I LOVE IT. THE FEATURES TAKE A LITTLE WHILE TO GET USED TO. SWITCHING CONE ANGLES ETC, MOVING THRU THE MENU, BUT IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY.

MIKE

I have the Matrix 17 also. It's a great unit that won't break the bank. We can hook up our Magellan handheld GPS to it also so that is nice. The dual cone is a nice feature in a unit that won't set you back a fortune. Highly recommend it.

Thanks everyone. The 535 says it can track a small jig down to 40 feet, can the Matrix do the same? It seems the Matrix puts out more watts so I'm thinking it should at least equal to or better than the 535. I'm really thinking about buying the Matrix 17.

I have a Matrix 37 (2 of them), and set up right will track a hooked minnow and a split shot to be placed right in front of a Crappie's nose. I use mine for Crappie fishing ALOT, and at times it is like playing a video game, tracking everything on the screen.

Being able to add GPS is nice also. I really didn't think I would need it,but after adding it, it has become a very important feature. Very accurate also.

Now I'm just saving up for a side imaging one..:wub::wub::wub:

Steve

Thanks does the Matrix 12 replace the 17? On Humminbird's website under Matrix they show the 12 not the 17. Search their website and it has the 17, but not under the Matrix category.

Back