How's your boat carpet

• Thread starter Gilbert Scales2
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilbert Scales2

Reaction score
I have the old style carpet in my boat, and I am thinking about having the new style installed. Does the new style last longer?? How do you take care of it?? The carpet I have is in good shape, but after 11 years it is coming lose in several places. I didn't want to glue it down if I replace it, just more work to remove it. I got a price of $1000.00 to have the job done with Ranger carpet. Is there any difference in grades of carpet??? Want to get as much info as I can before spending the money.

Bubby:)

Tox, I agree. However I checked with 3 dealers, and he is the cheapest. He also is the one most recommend. How do you take care of it??

Bubby:)

Bubby,.....Just hose it down at a car wash......first with soap and then rinse it w/clean water....works great!!:wub:

I could carpet your house for a 1000 bucks!!!

YES, there is a differance in carpet. Carpet is rated in ounces, meaning how many ounces yarn (or carpet fiber) is in a square yard of carpet (not counting the backing). How those yarns are packed in makes the differance in how the carpet stands the test of time. FHA minimum weight is 25 oz. You can either get a carpet with long skinny yarns that are spread far apart or you can get one with short yarns that are packed tightly together. Obviiously, the carpet with the short dense pile will last longer BUT the carpet with the long skinny yarns will have a better "hand" and appear to be a better carpet in the store. Most residential carpet is made from nylon because is it more resiliant and stands up to foot traffic better. Commerical and boat carpet is usally made from Polypropeleyne or "Olefin" because it is more stain resistant and has better color retention.

My carpet in my "01" looks like doody and I keep the boat covered anytime I'm not fishing on it. I guess I've got the old style (typical Tracker cheap crap, probably 16 or 20 oz)...I didn't know there was a "new style".:huh: I think I'm going to do it myself...how hard could it be?:unsure: There's a carpet store here in OKC that specializes in boat carpet and he has some pretty cheap prices on good 26 oz. olefin boat carpet.

Here's a link to a DIY article and I believe I saw another on BBC too. Do a Google on "boat carpet" and I'm sure you will come up with lot's of info. I don't think not glueing it down is a good idea though....just get a mental picture of grandpa's backside.:eek:

Harpo
http://www.ultimatebass.com/content/view/144/148/

I agrre..my 02' carpet looks like crap and is coming up everywhere.

May replace it myself this winter:)

Mine is pretty beat up too. Im thinking of redoing mine next spring. If i do it i will do it myself. I know a couple of people who have bought carpet from this site and the price was pretty good.

http://www.bassboatcarpets.com/

The carpet in my 02 640lx could look better. On the back deck it is not too bad (a fish a lot alone), but upfront its matted down big time. I don't think the lx's got the best quality carpet to begin with. I can live with the way it is since it is not coming up anywhere.

Yes - blood red maybe a good color choice tee!!! I've had good luck with Resolve carpet cleaner to take out stains, especially on grease - I do have one fishing buddy that loves to remove a seat for no good reason and set the greased post end down on the carpet!! (maybe thats why I fish a lot alone!!)

I have the original in my 93. Looks great. A little compressed in some places like where my fat feet usually stand on the front deck. The rest is like new. I always vacume up the sand and grit. Sand can get ground into the carpet base and make it look awful. 13 years and still going strong.

I still have a roll of new carpet from 13 years ago. The lousey, don't stand behind their boats, Tracker Service people gave me a whole roll in case the whole boat needed recarpeting. The aftermarket wiring on a 24 volt troller burnt a three sqare inch spot in the carpet in the port rod box.

PS no chewing or smoking in the boat. Plus I don't have any friends so no back seaters cept the dog.

fatrap

Back