how's this deal sound?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis swift

Reaction score
Found a tracker for sale already. Actually found it by accident. 1993, proteam 17, 40 hp evinrude. 12/24 67pound thrust trolling motor (1year old) 3 new batteries. He redid the inside of the boat to extend the decking and add storage. He wants around $3000. I think it sounds like a good deal. He says it doesn't leak either. What do you guys think?

Travis

anyone have a picture of that year boat? is it like the tx 17's or what is the difference in them that any of you guys might know of.

thanks,

travis

They're rough on choppy water...nothin' like the new ones.

i heard that. Didn't know if it was true. He said that you get wet running it but, heck that's not a big deal. I'm not going to be able to afford a new one. I can only afford an older one, so I'm going to have to live with a rough ride for now, and I know that. Thanks Tee, i appreciate your answer though man!

Travis

Don't get me wrong...I owned a 94 Pro Team and yes in rough water it's a little rough and wet but, slowing down a little helps and it was still a fish catchin' machine for 4 years until' I got a newer one. Just make sure you check the rivets good;)

Thanks TEE,

I appreciate your input. He sounds like a good guy. Sounds like he did alot of work to make the boat more "fishable", extending the decks, bigger trollin motor, all that good stuff. I though $3000 sounded pretty decent, anybody else think so?

Travis

Unless you know this guy pretty good I would insist on a ride first. Also have the engine compression tested at the marina. Might cost a little now, but could save a lot later.

You could always insist on putting a little to the side to give to him later if you cannot test it first. If there is no problem he shouldn't have a problem with that. I have done it before with boats I have sold.

Good lick with it!

Randy!;)

I agree with the on water test ride, you'll also want to make sure you on the water fill the livewell, see if it holds and if it leaks in to the bildge, along with any other leaks. Make sure you pull the boat out and have it sloped UP to the front so any water in the bildge will flow BACK to the bildge when you pull the plug to see if there is any water.

Trep

thanks trep. What do you all think on the price? sound good? to high? to low and look fishy? what's your guys opinons on that?

travis

5 years ago I bought a 1991 Pro 17 with a 1993 50hp Merc for $3,200. Stainless steel prop, galvanized trailer, and a heavy duty cover.

Good deal ? or not ?

It has been worth every penny I paid for it and more.:rolleyes:

If you like the boat and think it is a fair price, go for it. Just follow the others advice on the compression test and test ride.

The 67 lb trolling motor should be sweet on that boat.I run a 55 lb thrust,and it is just enough for that sized boat.

Ps. don't worry about a little bit of a leak. The riveted hull will probably leak, it's just a fact of life. You can drive yourself nuts trying to get everything completly stopped,or you can just flick on the bilge pump a couple of times a day and simply pump it out.

Steve

Travis, Government officials and con artist sound like good guys... Check it out from bow to stearn!!!! Good luck

KB

I would be sure and get it on the water so you can check the livewell and pumps so if anything is wrong you'll know what additional cost you may have. The compression test on the engine is very important and will be worth the expense. You should also see when he last had the impellor changed.

Thanks for all the tips guys. Hey KB, your right. Heck i'm an insurance salesman, i know all about sounding like a good guy. Just kidding, i am a good guy but, i know a TON of them that ain't. I'll check the boat out and let you all know what it looks like tommorow. Thanks for all the replys so far. great site, great guys!

travis

Ride it, drive it, run compression on it. ;)

Everything else is minor in comparison. As long as you're not bailing by hand within a few hours, it could be $3K well spent. Remember, a good deal is just a state of mind. Good luck!

Rivited boats give me the shivers since I just had mine replaced. If you can get under the boat to check the rivets use your finger nail and any rivets that you can get your finger nail between the hull and rivet will be a leaker. While your under there check for stress fractures. I had some on my old boat but didn't see them until a Tracker dealer pointed them out to me. Check the rivets on the outer edge under the boat also as these are the ones that hold the stringer in place. If they are loose or look like there coming loose be wary of them. When you look under the boat at the rivets make sure none of them have "flat" heads as this is and indication of someone pounding them to try and tighten them up. Good luck.

Arthritic minnow.

Hey Travis,

I have a 1996 PT-17.. Galvanized trailer, 40 h.p. Force, 43 lb trolling motor, custom cover, very clean and nice for $3500.00. I didn't even argue with the man because I thought it was such a good deal. See if you can get any maintenance records and any of the books or pamphlets he received when he bought the boat. When I got mine the owner had everything in the vinyl folder he got when he bought it. So just see, it doesn't hurt to ask.

So, If the engine is good, the new batteries, the trolling motor upgrade, etc.. I would say that the price, while not a steal is a very fair price.

Bill

3K sounds pretty good if the motor is good shape and runs good. You're not stealing the boat but you're not getting ripped either. IF there is a small leak like the guys are talking about I have a buddy that had that problem and he installed an automatic bilge pump. Works great. Just a thought.

Back