how to fix a boo - boo...

• Thread starter Richard/Charlotte Anderson
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We have a BIG scratch, dent, etc on the side of our nitro 188 sport. Lets not discuss how this happened except to say the incident included my husband pulling the boat and one of those concrete things at a gas pump :)

Cant afford to have this professionaly fixed right now...its just a cosmetic issue. Any hints on how to fill the dent...buff out the scratch etc. also...how to you order touch up paint for a boat or to fix rust spots on a trailer ?

thanks

charlotte:rolleyes:

Hi Charlotte

Gel Coat repair is very expensive and very difficult to repair. You should check to see if your boat insurance covers this. I got some gel coat damage while in water and my insurance picked up the bill minus deductible. This was a number of years ago but I recall the damaged area was not very large. It was a decent gouge maybe 6 inches or so. I spoke to the shop doing the repair and said I'd just pay for it since I have a deductible and how much would such a small scratch cost to repair anyway :unsure:. The shop politely insisted that I talk to my insurance company since they will most likely cover it. The repair job cost around $2k :eek::eek::eek: Boy was I amazed ... but happy the insurance picked it up!

Paul

I had the toolbox in my truck visit the front of my 5th wheel RV once upon a time. You can get fiberglass repair kits at any auto supply store; e.g., AutoZone. It's a simple process, just follow the instructions on the kit as to mixing, applying and finish sanding. I would then pull my boat to the nearest Sherwin-Williams store and ask them to match the paint. Absent the Sherwin-Williams approch, take it to any auto paint place and repeat the question.

You can DIY or pay an arm and a leg for someone else to do it. Insurance?

Good luck.

If it happened while pulling the boat, it should go onto your auto insurance claim.

Hopefully it is just a gel-coat boo-boo.The scratch is one thing, the dent is what scares me. Fiberglass can be tricky, if it breaks up the fibers underneath,they will need to be fixed.

I think you should follow Paul's advice and have a professional check it out.

Steve

Best advice is to NOT let your husband pull the boat anymore....

I tried to take pics but for some reason it was blurry...I'll try again soon. My husband was mortified needless to say...there is actually only a few small area that is chipped/dented etc...but a rather long whitish scratch that I wonder if it would buff out... I must try to get a non blurry photo...

It looks in the picture to be dwon past the gelcoat into the fibers which is not good to get wet, if your not going to fix now, I would put some below the water silicone on it.

I recall my damage seemed more severe so maybe the cost for your repair will be less than mine. Check the insurance out.

Tow the boat to Autozone (or another auto store of your choice), show them the scratch and get their advice on repair products/methods. Other than the cosmetics, it's no big deal. Been there, done that. DIY.

BTW, who was driving? :rolleyes:

Back