How Much Oil

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD Johnson

Reaction score
I have a Mercury 125ELPTO Carberated. I am curious as to how much oil I should need to add tot he resevoir at each tank fill?

Thanks

JDJ

Just remove the cover and see....I hate not having a gauge on the front of the motor like a 60 HP Merc;)

I know how to check it, I'm wondering what is normal consumption for this motor.

Tee - You're 90 Merc doesn't have the same visable guage like my 40 (and I assume your 60 Merc)?? I wonder if the larger motors don't have them at all, had not thought about that. I LOVE the visable guage, it keeps me honest and makes sure I fill her up when I need to.

Trep

Mine has a dipstick to check, not sure why though you can see in the tank when you pull the cap.

Figure you are burning at a rate of about 50:1 like most Carb outboards do . I dont know how big your tank is on the boat or motor but say you had a 25 gallon tank every time you empty it you would use a half gallon of oil.

Trep, the bigger v6 motors like my 150 you dont fill the oil on the motor itself. They use a remote mounted tank in the boat that the oil goes in. Its something to the tune of 3.5 gallons that it will hold. I can check my oil level by just looking in the battery compartment at the tank. If i had to fill a small saddle tank i would be filling it constantly, with the big remote tank i fill it just a few times a year( i burn a lot of gas).

Thanks Jim B,

That's about what I've been burning. I have a thirty one gallon tank.

It'll hold a little less than a gallon I think. My 90 burns about 1 1/2 maybe two tanks to one tank of oil:)

mmmmy bad....didn't read you ahd a remote fill:blink:

Jim - Thanks didn't know that. See I learn something new here everyday!!

Back