How much coverage do you have for liability?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just insured my first boat but looking over the coverages, I'm thinking I'll increase liability before hitting the water. Thanks in advance. Right now it's set at:

BODILY INJURY & PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY

BI $50,000 EACH PERSON - $100,000 EACH ACCIDENT

PROPERTY DAMAGE LIABILITY - $25,000 EACH ACCIDENT

UNINSURED BOATERS

$50,000 EACH PERSON - $100,000 EACH ACCIDENT

MEDICAL PAYMENTS $5,000 EACH PERSON (WATERSPORT INJURIES)

Check your state laws. I am required to carry a lot more because I guide and there is also an additional requirement in my Bass Pro Shops contract since I do seminars and tank demonstrations for them. I think I am up to 1.5 mill now.

TOXIC

As Toxic said, check your state laws. When I got mine I went with the $300,000 liability for Tournaments, but the agent told me the liability limits are usually what people sue for.

Ask waht happens when someone rips off all your stuff but leaves your boat. Many ins companies default this at $1000, I boosted my content coverage to 6k.

Aside from the requirements set by the Tournament Org's, you need to select a limit of liability around what you have to lose financially.

If you have a net worth of $500,000 and only have a 50/100 policy you fall way short and leave yourself open to personal lawsuits. Auto policy, boat policy and homeowners, etc.

If you have a $500,000 net worth (as an example) you should have a MINIMUM of the $500,000 as a limit of liability.

Another person mentioned increasing the contents coverage...great idea and is highly recommended!

I added a rider to my policy for "contents/gear" for $4000 and bumped the liability to $500K. It only increased my monthly premium by about $5.00.

RoyC

Latest posts

Back