How many feet of cable

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning on upgrading the trolling motor wire from 8 gauge to 6 gauge on my 2005 Bass Tracker PT 175. The boat is just shy of 18 feet long. I'm guessing the wiring run is not in a straight line, so I'm trying to guess how many feet of 6 gauge wire should I buy, 23 feet? Should I buy bonded or single wire, I see Cabelas has Marine Grade Wiring. I want to try to pull the wire without having to remove the deck. Thanks

You definitely do not want 'single wire'. And you will need two (2) times - you have to run both positive and negative leads. Personally, I'd get 25 feet, and trim length as needed. That or run your fish tape/rope/string first and measure, then buy the cable plus 1-2 feet for safety.

Tex

Same adage like wood - measure twice and cut once. ALWAYS get a couple of feet extra with wire. Never know what obstacles you may need to go around and it NEVER seems to be a straight shot. Better to have some extra then to have to splice somewhere along the way.

Paul, I highly recommend that your purchase the stranded copper wire instead of the solid copper. It can hold more amps and the insulation will be better. According to the NEC #6 TW (solid) is rated at 55 amps where the #6 THW is rated for 65 amps.YOu can even go with the THHN which is the better wire and insulation.

Barry from La.:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone I will get 25 feet to be on the safe side. Barry the 6 gauge at Cabelas is stranded.

This 6-gauge, marine-grade wire is designed for trolling or gas-motor applications.

Colors: Black, Red, Bonded* (not shown).

*Note: Wire is a "tinned copper" which looks like aluminum but it is a coating over the copper to help resist corrosion.

Latest posts

Back