How far is too far for pistol work?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatrap

Reaction score
Just curious but I've been shooting at 50 feet lately with my pistol. It's a bit more humbling than 25 feet. Out of curiosity at what range does one switch to his rifle. (AR)?

fatrap

Its the other way around - switch to the pistol when you run out of rifle ammo ;)

Any man who brings a pistol to a gun fight on purpose is a fool! I used to practice and train my team out to 50 yards. Beyond that...run away and come back with a rifle. NOTE: It is "fun" to try to walk .45 rounds onto a 5 gal bucket at 100 yards...like throwing pumpkins! BTW the drop at 50 yards with 230 gr .45 is horrendous.....

My statement was a bit misleading. Ofcourse use the M4 first. My thoughts were more on what ranges do pistol competitions run at?

For IPSC it was 7 yrds to 25yrds generally.... some times in the "old days" we had 50yrd pistol targets

that's what I was more use to 50yds max, very little practice was done for close encounters but it definitely highlights those you wouldn't want to be with in a close combat situation - couldn't hit the broadside of a barn - more likely to throw dirt in your eyes or shoot you in the foot (or themselves), very few of them, but having one in your department/shift - you'd know who NOT to call for support ;)

Took it out to 60 feet today. The maximum for in the indoor range. Shot both my 1911's in 45 acp and my S&W 4006 in 40. Trigger squeeze really comes into play here. Did very well and will continue to shoot this range. When I wheeled the target in to 25 feet the group was a ragged hole. Practice at distance and close becomes better.
fatrap

when I was in law enforcement, we shot to NRA standards of beginning at 50 yards, then to 25, 15 and 7. At 7 yards we don't use sights but instinct shooting, there was no feet. This is just for pistol and shotguns qualification quarterly.

The tactical training I do, we shoot pistols primarily at 8 yards and no more than 15 yards (and that's only when we're shooting to find cover). I 100% agree with @Greg Meyer that it's ideal to always have a rifle if possible. Pistols are inefficient tools to kill bad guys. Rifles were made for maximum damage and killing.

You guys would laugh about my very 1st law enforcement job right out of the air force. Little tough town (didn't know it was). Beside my 357 mag side arm, I carried 2 shotguns. One was a double barrel 12 ga that has the barrel sawed off to around 10inches if that. Other was normal 12ga pump. I didn't get much argument when the double barrel came out. It fit very well on the rack behind my head.

One Sergeant I worked with had a beautiful 10" Fox Double barrel 12ga with a nicely formed pistol grip. That thing was very intimidating up close and personal, and very effective inside a efw yards.

I've got a Mossberg 590A1 with just a pistol grip that is a wrist breaker, so I'm putting a short LOP stock on it. Shotguns are essentially unshootable without a stock of some sort.

with 22 pistol sighted in at 50 ft it will be back on zero at 100 yds . if your trigger technique is good it is possible to put 10 rounds in a 10 in sq at that range . iv seen it done .

Since this post first aired I've done a lot more shooting pistol outside what was my "zone". Also had my nephew run me though a CCW class. (He's an dept instructor) As a result I have a M4 at the ready instead of in the gun safe. I practice my "homework" whenever possible. Whoever said old guys can't improve their shooting with practice.

Resurrecting an old thread. Or, perhaps just bored sitting here at 5:30 AM. Yes, I'm reading through old posts (almost 2 years ago for this one).
First off, I have had a CCL since Ohio initially began issuing them in 2004. Prior to that I carried for many years (depending on where I needed to go). Had some excellent (initial) instructions from a good friend who was a PD instructor.
Anyway, to the meat of the matter. I have found over the years that depending on where I will be carrying, will determine my handgun of choice for the day. To me, this is critical because there are too many situations that come into play.

Example 1: Going to a flea market with shoulder to shoulder crowds. I love carrying my Glock 23 BUT, this IS NOT the place to carry that. So, I opt for my Kel Tec 32.
Example 2: Hiking the wooded trails Kel Tec stays home and the Glock or Ruger P94 comes with me.
Example 3: Alone, launching my boat before sunrise. Or, loading the boat after sunset. Again the Glock. In hot summer I'll dress very lightly so, Kel Tec suffices.
Example 4: Going out to in-laws property, I'll usually take 3-4 handguns and a rifle (most likely my Winchester 30-30).

I guess my point is that not every handgun is ideal in every situation. Let me also say, I'm lucky enough to be able to pick and choose a more appropriate weapon for the circumstance.
I know also that not everyone has that choice. Some only have 1 weapon to carry. So, indeed carry what you have.

I too like to see how accurate I can be at the range with my handguns out to 50 yards. But I probably won't use more than 1 or 2 magazines doing that.
I much prefer more realistic distances for range time. Starting at 5 yards and increasing to 25 yards.

Latest posts

Back