How deep should I go with trolling motor

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Welc

Reaction score
Hi all. Just bought a new Minn Kota Terrova TM and pulled 6 GA wire in my Bass Tracker 175 (pulling the wire was very easy, suprised me I was getting ready to take the deck off). Trolling motor when in the up position sticks out about 18 inches off the side of the boat, so much for the boat cover. Any ways, when I set the depth of the trolling motor what is the optimum depth, bottom of the trolling motor even with the bottom of the boat or TM lower than the bottom of the boat? Thanks Paul

it really depends on conditions. In shallow water you want it up as as high as you can get it without it hitting bottom. In rough water you will want it as deep as you can go. Anything in between the depth really doesnt matter that much.

There is a reason they are adjustable. It needs to be deep enough to stay in the water most of the time and bring it up in skinny water.

BF

Here's a hint, when you hear the prop grinding on the rocks {shudder} you're too low!! :lol::lol: Like Bruce said, it's adjustable. You will get good at partially stowing the TM to go shallow to get a hung bait but let me warn you once you take it out of the locked down position and you hit the peddle, it will want to jump in the boat!! You will also have to pull it up to get through some thick grass if you fish that. Being a guide, I spend a lot of the time shallow or on the bank getting errant casts!!:p

TOXIC

its easy, after you buy the 3rd transducer, the picturre starts to get clearer and clearer.

mike c

My Minn Kota says it should be adjusted so it remains 12 inches under water for cooling purposes.

Latest posts

Back