How Bad Have I Screwed Up?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Harp

Reaction score
I never fog my motor for winter because I usually get out at least every 3 or 4 weeks. HOWEVER, this winter for a multitude of reasons I haven't been out since sometime in October. In November I did fill the gas tank and treat it with Stabil and back it down the loading ramp and run the motor to get the fuel stabilizer up to the carbs. Other than making sure the water was drained out real good and keeping the battery charger hooked up, I haven't done anything else because I kept thinking I would get out to the lake. It's going on 4 months now without the motor being run and I'm worried. I know I should have fogged it but since I didn't what precautions should I take when I do start it up for the first time? I was thinking about pulling the plugs and spraying some fogging oil just to make sure the cylinders are not totally dry. What do you all think?

Harpo

Pull the plugs and spray down the cly's.

It will be fine.

Steve

Harpo, I woudn't worry about it. The biggest problem that most people encounter is varnish buildup in the carb(s) from old gas. If you treated with Stabil, I wouldn't worry. As far as the cylinders, there will be enough oil left after the gas evaporated to protect the cylinders from rust. If you're still stressed about it though, pull the plugs and lightly fog the cylinders and spin the starter for about 3 seconds to distribute the fogging oil.

Thank God it's gonna be Spring soon!

Bruce M

Yeah, it's in the driveway, covered with a good cover. We don't have real severe winters here, just brief periods of temps down in the teens and 20's and then back to the 30's and 40's.

Harpo

It will be fine Harpo.....just hook the water hose up to the engine and run it for a few minutes.

Thanks for the replies,guys. I feel better now. I asked this question on another thread but haven't got an answer there yet so I'll ask again here; Is it ok to put de-carbonizer treatment in with the same gas with the Stabil?

Thanks again all.

Harpo

Harpo - I suggest running that tank through before running a tank with the de-carbonizer. I would think that too much additives in a two stroke is not recomended. IMHO

I'll buy it from you for 1/4 book value since you've obviously torn it all up :).

Back