Performance Questions

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbass

Reaction score
Hey everyone, looking for help. Bought a 2013 z7 with a 150 4stroke. After toying with the idea of jack plates / prop changes, I finally came across the hull hook posts today in other forums. Sure enough, that appears to be my issue. I can run 54mph and I get on a plane pretty well, however I don't know if this will get worse over time and if it can impact my motor longevity. Thoughts are welcome? Also does anyone have a solution? I have heard of Gorilla Hull out of LA (I'm in FL) and also maybe having a fiberglass repair shop make changes. Both are at least $3000 +, but has anyone actually done this and it solved the problem? I've read where it can become unstable and dangerous to drive.

Any help would be appreciated. Does anyone have any experience with solving this?

It will get worst. When i first got mine. 68mph no problem. Within a year. 60-62, after a few years i lost rpm and barely get 60. had to trim motor up max. I thought it was motor, switched, fuel injectors, coils, filters, plugs, nothing mattered, then came across the hooked hull post and put a level on hull and it was bad!
Nitro wouldnt fix it as you only get 10 years on hull as a 2nd owner.
But they were going to replace the hull.
I'm not sure how you would even start to repair it otherwise.

I ended trading it in on a new Nitro, hopefully they stand behind their lifetime warranty on the hull when it happens again. Lol

Hey Cyco, appreciate the feedback sir. I ordered a 10" jackplate. Some have said that it may "patch" the problem.

Go figure...Tracker boats / Bass pro shops absolutely won't claim responsibility for something created incorrect from the factory...that they spent as much effort as possible giving original owners grief so they didn't have to honor the warranty. However, it's documented...so if there is ever an accident it will be time to lawyer up.

My understanding is the fiberglass will shrink most in the first 3-4 years. Since mine is now 10 years old, I'm not sure if it will progressively get worse or not. (hoping it had done it's worst)

@Cyco-how long did you keep yours before selling?

I do feel as though Bass Pro / Tracker / White River Marine (warranty dept) should at least give fair trade in value for the product they defectively made and their Quality Assurance group slept on. I for sure won't buy a Nitro, or even a Ranger again in the future, given the customer service they offer. They don't stand by their product, nor will they eat their own cooking when they burn the food. Even as an original owner, this company lack of ethics kills the resale value of all of our boats and is poor customer service and consideration.

I'll let you guys know if the Jack Plate helps at all. If not, it will go in for a trade / sell to someone who want's to top out at 53mph. I appreciate all input.

I completely agree with you and have been stating that White River Marine (aka Nitro) has HORRIBLE customer service for years. and its well known!. It made it very hard to buy another one. But, they price it right for what you get and they know that. One you buy it..... well, good luck. If they would improve their customer relations sales would skyrocket even more, hence the ability to cover some of these defects.
The hooked hull is cmpletely a manufacturer defect, it's nothing a boat owner has done (regardless of what they try and tell you).

The jack plate will help a lot. I had an 8" hydrolic. I just noticed the performance every year was decreasing. Mine was a 2010, bought in 13, ran good for 2 years, then got worst till I traded it in in 2023. So, i had it 10 years. Love the boat, just unfortunate that happen.
(Side note: my '10 pro xs 200 2 stroke got way better gas mileage then the new 4 stroke, although i love the 4stroke, especially when you start it, and the torque)

PM me, keep in touch, curious how things go for you. Did you ever as a dealer what cost would be to completly replace the hull from the factory?

Thanks for the reply Cyclo. So each year it got worse. Even like 2015-2023? I lot of fiberglass people claim all the shrinkage happens in the first few years, but if yours continues to decline many years later, then that changes a lot for my decisions.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Mine runs about 53 mph now, it’s a 2013. Few other questions if you don’t mind.

What was your speed through those 10 years ?

Dis you sell private or trade in ?

How much of a difference did the jack plate make on speed?

I’m debating if I should even install JP or just relist / trade in. Thanks in advance for feedback.

Thanks for the reply Cyclo. So each year it got worse. Even like 2015-2023? I lot of fiberglass people claim all the shrinkage happens in the first few years, but if yours continues to decline many years later, then that changes a lot for my decisions.

I really appreciate your feedback.

Mine runs about 53 mph now, it’s a 2013. Few other questions if you don’t mind.

What was your speed through those 10 years ?

Dis you sell private or trade in ?

How much of a difference did the jack plate make on speed?

I’m debating if I should even install JP or just relist / trade in. Thanks in advance for feedback.
Mine had the JP on it when I bought it. Boat was a 2010, when i first got it in 2013, I'd do about 68@5600rpm. then top end progressively got worst, about 2019 it was most noticeable, worst by the time I traded it in (I ethically couldnt see it personnally to someone). I noticed I could barely get 60. By the time i tradeded it in, 55-60. 5000-5500 rpm. kept losing RPM. i had it trimmed maxed and jacked up to keep nose up. Had quite the rooster tail, lol
I know your not suppose to but anything less, it would be hard to steer/nose would "dig in".

The other thing I remember is the wake(spray) from the boat -usually from just the rear side portion of boat, was coming out from the cockpit, like half way along the side of the boat.

What funny(not), i discovered the problem within the 10yr warranty, actually took it in (thinking more a motor issue. But the time I figured out the hull thing I was a year out of "warranty"
If i find them I have a vid of old boat and one of new.

Just curious: when your boat is trailered do your bunks extend past the transom? I have heard, so may be total BS, that if the transom is not supported by the bunks it will cause the transom to settle and make the hook more pronounced.

Just curious: when your boat is trailered do your bunks extend past the transom? I have heard, so may be total BS, that if the transom is not supported by the bunks it will cause the transom to settle and make the hook more pronounced.
I've heard that as well. not sure true or not. Me personnally, always try to have the bunks past the transom.

Also, for the OP, when the boat is on the trailer, look at the bottom of the boat and see how far its off the bunks..... mine was 1/2 or more, i could stick my finger between the bunk and pad(bottom of boat).

Hey everyone. Boat is fully on the bunks. There is one chine that is about an inch maybe over the bunk, but I think that bunk was replaced by the original owner is why. All others full cover the boat.

There is about a 3/4” -1” hook that runs about 2 foot long down all for chines.

I did file a report with the better business bureau (BBB)

If you have ever experienced anything similar, it may be worth filing a complaint. It takes like 3 minutes.

Latest posts

Back