Holes in glass hull-advice needed

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikel Stephens

Reaction score
I counted 12 holes where the good folks who owned my boat b4 me and myself have installed/removed things like temp sensors, speed indicators, transducers...etc.

I noticed that I have been taking on water and bilging out a couple of gallons every couple of hours while fishing. I just went out and removed my transducer and temp sensor/speed indicator as well as the screws that were plugging the other holes. I also noticed that when I removed my plug-housing alot of water came out of the screw holes.

-Here's the question: Should I try to have the fibergalss repaired or just scrape, silicone and replace screws to plug the holes?

I have decided to try to remount my transducer inside of my hull so the only thing that I would mount back would be the plug housing and the speed indicator/temp sensor for my h-bird.

Quick version. Replace the screws and silicone. Round holes will not cause stress cracks. The silicone will prevent leakage..'

BF

Well u know my answer, cuz thats what i tried to do. When you run your temp sensor use the holes leading down to the pad for your wiring. Let all of those holes sit for a day or two with nothing in them to dry out. Shoot silicon into every hole before putting the screw back in them. And top the screw head off with silicon.

As for the leak make sure you don't have a cracked housing for your aerators or something like that. My boat is leaking badly from two aerator thru hull fittings and also the pad vent.

Latest posts

Back