Hole in the gel coat?

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Long

Reaction score
While wiping down the boat after a club tournament yesterday, I noticed this:

IMG_0093.JPG

boat hole close-up.jpg

I don't have any idea how it happened. Neither me or my partner noticed hitting anything. Guys at the ramp said it looks like the runner is hollow and that shouldn't be the case. They said there was an air bubble under the gel coat that would have created a weakness. What do you guys think?

I guess I'm about to find out about the lifetime hull warranty in detail. :(

AF, it looks to me like there was an air pocket under the gelcoat. Is the glass in the chipped area hard and fully cured? If so, i would not worry too much about it. The primary purpose of gelcoat is for appearance, and really has no effect on structural integrity. I would have it repaired (by dealer if under warranty), and keep a close eye on the entire hull for more problems. Contaminated resins can cause bubbling and blistering of gelcoat. If there is a problem, you will mostly see more symptoms in the future.

You have exposed fiberglass there partner! Get that sealed before putting back in the water. Once water gets into that tiger hair it can sit there and never dry out properly and eventually rot the fiberglass just like it would a wood transom.

I could go into fiberglass repair but unless you know how and have a compressor and body work tools, it would take forever to explain and be more of a hassle. For a small spot like that, a body shop would probably only charge you say $100 - $200. I would take it and go. But definately get it fixed. If you can't before then, at least go to an auto store and get a bottle of that touch up paint they have for cars and try to match the color a little. They are acrylic enamel and will seal it. Use the small brush and be sure to get it into the fiber and around the gelcoat where it had cracked. Out several coats waiting until each coat has dried. You want to totally seal out the water. Be sure the area is clean first. You can use a solvent or just rubbing alcohol to prep clean it. It won't be pretty, but it will get you back on the water until you can manage a permanent repair.

Back