Hole in Boat - UPDATE

• Thread starter William H. (Bill) Barham
  • Start date
Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

William H. (Bill) Barham

Reaction score
Hip Hip HOOORRRAYYY... I mentioned that the welder was concerned about the floatation. Well, it is highly flammable so he called me and told me he could take it out or I could do it and save some money. So I got the longest surrated edge knife I had and went to his shop. It took me about 30 minutes to get enough of the floatation out so he could work on the hole. He started TIG welding the site and was done in about 30 minutes, including sanding down the welds and buffing with a scotch brite pad. (by the way, this did not leave any swirl marks)It looks great and he did a wonderful job. I am convinced that where that hole was is now the strongest part of my boat.

The total cost for this was $60.00... I was amazed at the low cost of this!

So, less than twenty-four hours after the accident my stomach is back to normal, all worry lines have gone, and I feel great. If I didn't already have a big head from the adult beverages I consumed worrying about this, I'd do it again celebrating.. Now I can go fishing tomorrow. Another place though, of course.

Thanks to all for the support and ideas. Now, where can I get some of the floatation stuff..

Bill

Might want to put him on your Christmas list. A friendly welder is handy to have around when your floating tin. Unfortunately us glass jockys have a rougher time with holes in boats.

fatrap

I told you it would be easy.I cut my foam out in one big chunk and just glued it back in with liquid nail.

Chalk one up for TIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ps.if you have your deck off,use stainless steel hardware when you replace it.

Yep, I do feel I lucked out and believe me, J.D., the welder is on my Christmas list. I didn't remove the deck so I just kinda hacked out the floatation from the area in question. The repare ended up easy Steve, but I wasn't so sure it was gonna be:)

Anyone want to fish the Eastern Shore of MD or DE tomorrow.

I have to go out..

Bill

I wouldn't think that you removed enough foam to allow the boat to sink. I wouldn't worry about it.

Go have an adult beverage and celebrate...

Replacement foam: $6

Long serrated knife: $12

TIG welding: $60

Jack Daniels: Priceless!

Boy! Did you luck out!!

Congrats!

Back