Hey KB! Check out the "Goodbye Nitro" post

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TritonGlenn

Reaction score
KB,

I found TOXIC's reply to the post extremely interesting, especially since we had that conversation about Teddy's boat and why it hadn't come in yet a few weeks ago. I'm wondering if that happened immediately after what I was told by Mary, or if someone isn't quite telling the whole truth to Teddy. Either way, something sounded really fishy, and I just wanted to see if you would speak to TOXIC off line and tell him of the conversation.

So what happened with the Triton today on the Potomac? Leave you high and dry? Or should I say wet? Hope neither happened to you and you just had a good day fishing.

Glenn

Call it old age... but i don't recall the conversation about Teddy's boat. When you called me i was busy as a cat in a sand box... refresh my memory ... call my cell!!

The ride in the Triton was interesting... Tr 20 X with a 225 opti, no set up info... this ain't my boat.

The Potomac was as calm as you could ask for ( in the A. M.)

It seemed to be REALLY squirrely... I guess you need to learn to drive a Triton...

Seat time in this boat would help.. but this thing just bounced all over the place..

Coming back in was another issue... this thing handled rough water very well.

Maybe to be fair about it , more time in this boat would change my mind....But it does not handle rough water as good as a 9 series..

I'll stick to the Nitro...

Good to hear that it didn't break down or anything like that. That is one body of water around here that I would hate to break down in.

I did notice some handling differences with the Triton that I did not have in my last boat, but then again, I have been driving a 18 footer with a 150 Johnson for the past 8 years, and this is a 20 footer with a 225 Merc that I have only had for a little over a week. One thing that is definitely different - In the Cajun, I would hammer it down and trim up as it came up onto pad. In the Triton, I have to let off a bit after it jumps up on pad. Otherwise, the prop blows out a bit. It's set up for max speed, so the holeshot isn't as good as the Cajun's was, but the boat is much faster at top end. I know I could lower it on the jack plate a bit to cure that holeshot / blowout, but I'm going to drive it a bit more to see if I get used to it before doing so. I also have a PowerTech prop of the same pitch that I am going to try on it this coming weekend to see what a difference that makes. I had already bought the PowerTech 25 pitch for the 929, and the Triton has a Trophy 25+ on it, so it should work just fine.

I havn't riden in a 9 series, but I have been in rought stuff on several occasions and been beaten one time AND had a smooth ride during another time in the following:

Cajun, Ranger, Triton, Skeeter, Stratos, Javelin. I think it has a lot to do with the driver, setup, and weight distribution. Probally more-so than the make of the boat.

I have been beat to a pulp in a TR-20 (one of the first models that came out, back when they were 19'6"), and I could see in that guys eyes that he was panicked about driving. His knuckles were white, and his face had that "oh my God, we're gonna die" look on it. Then again, I rode with Todd Shaff during a Mr. Bass tournament quite a few years ago on the Potomac - TR20 with a 225 if I remember correctly, and even though we had quite a rough chop, he kept it wide open and drove right through the stuff, smooth as I've ever seen anyone do it in rough water. When I first started driving my Cajun, I beat up my share of kidneys.... but a lot of seat time and dealing with some very large rollers on several bodies of water taught me what to do, and that cleared up about 85% of the problems (hey, nobody's perfect! :D)

I'm at sea today until Friday, so I can't call right now, but I'll call you when I get in. The conversation about Teddy's boat... someone "forgot" to do something at the factory..... does that jog any memories? Man! You are getting old! :lol:

All the best KB,

Glenn

Tritons can be "Squirrely".....loose is fast. :)

Mini

LOL I had it at 67 gps in a 2-3 chop and just bouncing around... not as stable as it could be...

It's a good choice for setting up and runnunig the snot out of it...

if you live for that... clean your pants out after the run kinda thing!!!

Hey they gotta be good boats... EVERYBODY"S got one

Mini - sounds like a quote from "Days of Thunder".... "loose is fast... and your out of control on the outside...." :D

KB - They are everywhere, aren't they? :rolleyes: I think the reason for it is that they are good quality / well laid out / well finished for what you pay for them.

I looked at the Rangers - VERY nice, VERY plush, VERY big and roomy..... VERY, VERY, VERY pricey. Wow! I wanted one, but wasn't willing to shell out the money they wanted for one with what I wanted on it.

I looked at Bass Cat - Very nice, Very well laid out, Very fishable... but then I opened the compartments (under a buddies advise). The exterior finish of the boat was first rate, but it looks like they skimp just a little when it comes to fit and finish of the stuff you can't see on the outside. It was my second choice behind the Triton though.

I looked at Skeeter - Same nice, well laid out, very large front deck, etc.... But I didn't like the look of the top cap and that little ramp rear end they have in the back. It just looked funky. And then I sat behind the steering wheel. I'm a shorter guy (5'8"), and my knees kept hitting the underside of the dash. Man, I could just see myself icing my knees after every outing.:blink:

It will take me a little longer to "dial in" the 'toon, but I think with some seat time and a good distribution of weight, it's going to treat me better on the Potomac than the 18 foot Cajun ever did.

Glenn

did you look at the Charger best riding boat in big rough water JD

No - Sorry, I did not get a chance to check them out before I bought my boat. I didn't know of any Charger dealers in the Hampton Roads area, and I didn't want to have to travel more than a coulple of hours for sales / service.

OOps! KB - Tox contacted me tonight by email. I don't know how, but I confused Teddy with Ed - the State Team Pro Staffer. That is one pair of people who look totally 100 % different. Old age is setting in man!

Glenn

Oh Yeah, I was told the purple monster came off the line on thursday!!!

so did mine!!

Back