Hey Jim B... or other Dodge Dakota owners...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
jim B,

I seem to recall you mentioning upgrading the brakes on your dakota... what did you use?

Sim...don't know much about Dakota's since I'm a GM man but, can tell ya' what I've heard about these new Power Slot rotors and Hawk pads. Go to Stylinconcepts.com and see if they have them for Dakota's. Supposed to be the latest and greatest.

Don't get cross drilled rotors...they don't take heat very well and are prone to cracking.

Here's what they look like but,they are not cheap(is anything good) $119 each...ouch:)
69da61986c0ac67dde5b9b7ad3f1b5d2.jpg

That's what I was thinking of... pretty sure that's not much more than a brake shop would charge for "OEM Replacements"...

But I want something with more bite/longevity.

if I gotta replace them, might as well do it right.

Hers another at Jegs.com and they're a little cheaper but, they are cross drilled. These are for Chrysler's and Dodge...They're called Powerstop rotors...$94 each:)
915AR8242.jpg

Sim, i got the raybestos severe duty superstop rotors on my truck right now. At first i was pretty happy with them but im not so happy any more. As you most likley know Dakota's have a tendancy to warp from disks in years prior to 2003 and mine has been no exception. I thought the severe duty drilled,slotted rotors would take care of it as but i have warped two sets. They seem to last an average of 15k vs the 5k i got from the stockers before they warped. I havent had any cracking problems as Tee said but warping has still been an issue.

From what i hear on the dodge dakota's board the powerslot brand fares no better. My next step is to get some cryogenically treated rotors and try them. In talking with my Father who has been a metallurgist for 35+ years he thinks its the way to go. He said that cryogenically treating metal is much more consistant then heat treating and makes the metal harder too. So thatsmy next step. I put a link to them if you want to check them out.
http://www.frozenrotors.com/frozenrotors.shtml

here is what i have currently installed. Ive replaced them twice in the last year :( for free thankfully.
dakbrakes.jpg

yeah, I think that's what's going on with mine now, warped and all... still stop good but hate the "chugga chugga" at times...

So, even upgrading wont stop that? Any ideas why? I just assumed "cheap rotors"...

nother question... how hard is this to replace in the driveway? It's been years since I did my own brakes, but really dont want to pay someone else...

well, the frozen ones arent any more expensive!!

Did you do anything different on the rear drums?

im not sure why they are doing it. I think my problem may have been related to the back brakes. I have drums and the adjusters were all frozen. I fixed that last weekend along with a new set of shoes. I think that may have been part of my problem, too much braking happening up front. I guess ill find out over time.

They are pretty easy to replace. once you have the caliper off the rotors just slide off the lugs. If they have never been removed there are two clips on two lugs that will have to be removed first. They also sometimes need a little help from a happer to pop free.

Guys,

The frozenrotors.com seem to be the way to go on The Toyota's as well. I'm also in need for a brake job and most of the Tundra owners are getting these.

Much like the Dakota's, the problem with the warping in the front has a lot to do with the rear. I'm not sure, but I think I read there is a way to adjust the actuator so the rear brakes take a little more of the pressure when braking. You also want to constantly set you're parking brake so the drums adjust correctly. I do mine a couple times a week and notice a difference in braking and a little bit less vibration up front.

They are also using Kevlar pads with the frozenrotors, but are complaing about noise if not properly "burnt in"

Dang....I'm over 50k miles on my four wheel disc brakes and rotors, but my gas pedal is getting worn out!!

Youse guys use your brakes to much!!

Drive it like ya stole it!!

Bob G.

I like your Edelbrocks!!! I'll get some pic's soon of my finished motor with Edelbrock headers,cat back exhaust and soon to be shocks;)

Paul...

There is a recall in affect for Dakotas related to the ball joints... check with the local dealer on that!!!

Sim i dont think the recall applies i think its only 2000-2003 model years if i remember correctly. Did you get yours done yet? I replaced mine myself and im waiting for a check from dodge for the cost of the parts.

yeah, I had mine done about 2 weeks ago... not sure they needed it, but the truck seems much happier now.

Jim B is on the right track,

Alot of the problem has to do with the back brakes being out of adjustment.

Go to an open parking lot,put the truck in reverse.Get her humming along and slam on the brakes HARD.

The first time you do it you will see the front wheels will slide and the back will do nothing.

It might take a few times but it will force the rear adjusters to tighten up.

Do this every few weeks and you will see a big difference.

Steve

Back