Hey Clark... here's a picture of that boat we found...

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Payne

Reaction score
So, how'd you end up in the tourney? We caught a limit in that area you saw us stop at (just past gwinn island)... 3 on crank, 2 on jigs... best was about 3 pounds.

That was right after you left... the bite really turned on between 3 and 7... Barb went on to catch a 5 and a 6 pounder on Jigs, and had another get off at the boat that was it's equal.

We found the fish you were talking about on the shallow rocks, I think most of them were carp/drum... I ended up with a 12 on a crank. Most of the fish we saw on those rocks like you described had split tails, so they most likely were'nt Bass... although we did see a few of them as well.

Here's a couple of pictures of that boat I was graphing at Gwinn Island:

boat_sm.JPG

boat2_sm.jpg

I'm not sure of the precise model, but it's one of the 900 Series Side Imaging units from Humminbird, I'm certain.

Tex

OK i've seen the 900 series ads with pics like this, Tony or Tex or someone, tell me how to read/look at this? The top one with the split is the side viewing left and right? is it top down viewing??? The details look amazing i just don't know what i'm seeing.

This is from the 987...

The first pic is both sides... the middle "dark zone" is the water column directly under the boat to the first bits of bottom contact... in this case we are sitting in 22.8 ffeet of water.

Then, the bottom starts and from then on to the left/right edge of the screen shows the contours, rocks, fish, etc... all the way to the 'edge'... since I am using the higher khz, not quite to the surface, but close. (with the 262khz option, you can actually see all the way to the waters surface).

The second pic is where I moved the curser and keyed in on the left hand side of the boat.

Here's a sonar vs side imaging shot that shows the same piece of cover...

sonarvsside_sm.jpg

sidevssonar_sm.jpg

The linked article does a much better job at explaining this....
http://www.humminbird.com/generic.asp?ID=514

Too sweet....I gotta get one of these.

Mini

yeah, you can add the WeatherSense accessory to many/most of the new humminbird units...

For the weather, I just look up...

If I get wet, it's raining

If I squint, its sunny

If I see grey/white blotches, its cloudy.

But the weathersense will tell me what excuse to use, or what to look forward too...

CJL,

Yes, anytime you take a screenshot or set a waypoint, the weathersense info is stored with it.

The Weathersense bit monitors the barometer and makes a simplistic forecast based upon the trend over the previous 6 hours or so.

It has an internal battery and will monitor the conditions (barometric pressure) "all the time" if you so choose.

Hey Sim,

Sorry slow to respond. We weighed just the two fish. First thing that morning the bite seemed to be on for sure. I didn't get in enough prefishing. Not much from last years fishing seemed to work. If you want to see the wieghts brought in check www.fomntt.com.

Up at three flags and the other point by Herrington Marina had lots of fry swimming.

My next stop is Taylorsville on the 10th. Hopefully we will do better.. Thanks for the info. Clark

Another neat feature of this unit...

See in the second boat picture above, where my curser is ?

THat is where the way point for that picture was set.

See how the depth reading is different? That is the depth at the curser.

Clark...

Herrington can be a very picky lake... timing is everything.

I'll let you know what I hear if I hear anytying... good luck!

Last year across from Gwinn on the main lake I did really well with the boat in 30' and catching them in 15' with a shaky worm. I guess they are not there yet due to weather or whatever.

Those are some good pictures for sure. Are you scuba certified? We could start to retrieve some of this stuff you are finding. Clark

Back