Help with a possible electrical problem???

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hofman

Reaction score
For some strange reason, my right hand rear running light (in the sealed bubble brake light) keeps burning out. It's the smaller of the two bulbs. The big turn signal light works, but the running light has burned out AGAIN!

How do I test the wires to see if I'm pulling too much of a load?

I hate to say it Mo but, if one of mine goes...the whole thing is gettin' replaced with different lights. I don't like a system when a 59 cent bulb burns out...I've gotta'pay $6.99 for the whole unit(and that's cheap thru BPS) everytime it happens.

I changed mine on my 94" with a set from WallyWorld for $25 and that was the best money I've spent in a while.

TEE

BTW..Do you unplug yours when backin' down in the water?

TEE-

The rear trailer lights on my TV-18 (probably MO's too) are sealed...water tight...

I don't ever unplug mine now...used to before I had this style...

MO-before you go too far, check this if you haven't already:

I noticed that I had slightly pinched a wire where the trailer tongue pivots...probably slammed it over too hard once or something...

az

Andy I have those sealed units and it doesn't matter...when you back those units in the water and the water temp is a lot cooler than the bulb itself...water doesn't have to get in to blow the bulb. At least it didn't matter on mine. And I can tell ya' that my new trailer has not blown a bulb in two seasons with unplugging the lights. Been there and done that and replaced em'...no problem.

TEE

Anybody have any experience with the LED lights that are available? I have seen them and they are noticable brighter, but how well do they hold up?

david....

They claim to hold up 10 times longer than filiment bulbs....

Mini

do they cost 10 times more too???

TEE-

I never unplug mine and have not replaced one yet!

Got the boat in spring of 2001...

az

I too have been lucky on trailer lights....knock on wood...lol

Mini

Yes, I unplug the lights before backing into the water. I guess if it was temperature related, I'd see it in both sets. But it's one stinkin' bulb out of the two inside the sealed unit. And that makes me think I've got a short or a corroded wire.

If this happens again, I'm rippin' off both sets of sealed bulbs and rigging a set of LEDs.

MOFish, Try siliconing the light around the edges. My dealer did this after replacing my lights for me 4 times and I' haven't had a problem since. It's been 4 yrs. and no blown bulbs.

Thanks, Al! I actually considered doing this, but haven't yet. I did silicone the wire nuts to seal them from water, and then wrapped them in mastic tape. I'll pull the light off again tonight and do what you suggested. Maybe that will be sufficient.

Sorry guys. I'm off my box now....I just never cared for those light systems.

It could be a connection/corrosion related problem...since the newer ones don't seem to have problems but, yet my 95' was always blowin' one or the other bulbs... makes me think it's related.

TEE

Some of us don't have the option to unplug. You can cross over plugs (4 to 5 pin) and back up but I gotta go in with my lights plugged in. With that being said, I have not had any problems (and I do get condensation in the fixtures). Had to replace one set of rears...Dang tree jumped out and bit the trailer.

TOXIC

The LED lights can be purchased at anyplace that sells parts for over-the-road trucks. I think they sell for about $4 each.

Yeah, well, last night I hooked up to test everything and decided I'd better fill the tank before the gas prices jumped. But I was too late. When I came back home to put the boat in the garage, I had to maneuver between some cars that parked on the street and clipped one of 'em with the boat trailer. Bent the right hand fender back a bit on both the front and back ends.

The guy I clipped told me not to worry. His car "is so old it isn't worth turning in a claim". Besides, his 1/4" steel front bumper was just scratched.

CRAP!!! I try to take care of my stuff, and this just makes me mad at myself for not being more cautious.

Latest posts

Back