HELP vacation on kentucky lake 07

Nitro Owners Forum

Help Support Nitro Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james casteel

Reaction score
ok guys I talked my wife and son into cutting back to one week at disney world and using the second week for a fishing trip on kentucky lake. woooo hoooo

my question is this...

1) what would be the best week of the year to go (due to school it must be between May threw end of August) for some decent #'s of fish ((LM))????

2) where would be the best place to stay (I would like it as close to the water as I could get and if possible have a dock with power for my rig) ????

thanks a bunch

jimfc3

The Moors resort is top notch. I went there last year based on comments from this discussion board and can say without a doubt an excellent place to stay. Cabins or rooms in the lodge are available. Nice facilities such as pool/place to eat/marina/only a few mile south of the channel that connects kentucky lake to Lake Barkley so you can hit either. I put my boat in a slip that had plug-ins and it worked great. You are also only 15 minutes to a town with other places to eat/shop including a small bass pro shop outlet. My luck was pretty good because I went down during the middle of the week and it turned out that I was there in between a FLW tour event and an Elite 50 event on either end of my week. Every morning the boat launch was an all-star event with EVERY big name pro launching and shooting the bull on the practive days. I was in heaven. I had good luck, but not massive numbers since a cool front had gone through. Also it was obviously being fished hard durig the time I was there. We were there in mid-june. Here is a little secret that the guy in the marina told me about. when the Moors holds a tournament (FLW went out of the Moors) they release fish into the bay behind the marina. I caught a number of 3-4 lbs bass each day just wlaking the bank. We will definately go bak to Kentucky lake and will definately stay at the Moors.

I stayed at Kentucky Lake Resort, have a ramp, and covered dock. You have the options of condo's, cabins, or hotel rooms.

Ed

Don't forget about the option of renting a house-boat either...

Four of us rent one every spring on Barkley and take two bass boats with us...

Fun stuff!

We always fish around the last week of April and generally fish the northern end of Barkley. The last two years I've caught close to 200 bass fishing 6 days...

Had big bass the last two years also...6-4 last year and 7-3 in '05.

Fishing the last week of April is fun...fish are up shallow in the buck brush and in the "yellow flowers."

If you want numbers of fish, I would say this is a great time to go...

And if your arms get sore from catching LM, SM, and spots, you can always catch a mess of Crappie too!

Temps are usually in the upper 60s during the day and lower 50s at night...

I'll be there this spring! Can't wait...

az

Whatever you choose you better do it soon. Most places recommend reserving cabins up to a year in advance.

The full moon in May is the time to plan your trip at KY Lake. That on the 2 a Wed. right in the middle of the week. Man it can't git no better then that. The bass will be in the yellow flowers, cats on the riprap and the bluegills on the beds. Big Bear Resort, Shawnee Bay Resort and Hesters all got it going on

Bones

Look I went there last year about the same time And I recommed u go sumwhere else Kentucky lake is more of a crappie lake and thats about it now there are sum bass but its more of a crappie lake

Look I went there last year about the same time And I recommed u go sumwhere else Kentucky lake is more of a crappie lake and thats about it now there are sum bass but its more of a crappie lake

WHAT ?????

Ky lake is a bass factory. You just got to know how to fish it Frank.

Bones

if you like high speed KVD type spinnerfishin'...or Pitch or Flip up in the bushes..your in buisness. And yes, look for those nice flats and ledges and yellow flowers;)

thanks guys but i messed up on the month looks like i cant go till june 9th--16th will that LM bite still be on?? or should i make a pre vacation trip?;)

sorry TEE but what is high speed KVD spinnerfishin??? i'm drawing a blank on that one

The new moon on Tus.17 of April looks good for a little pre vacation fishing. The fishing should be real good that week. Just ease a long the bank doing what you do best. The bass will be pre spawn. The males will be near the yellow flowers and the females will be holdin in the creeks that lead back in to the bays. But you better get on it before the resorts fill up.

Bones

well i got a cottage for june 9-16 at the moors(dam school, my kid don't get out till june 6th) but i plan on going down for a weekend in april or may to get on those bass, hopefully i wont get side tracked on the musky at kinkaid lake.

thanks for all the info, keep the tips coming i'm not a good bass fisherman;) any tips on color, lure or pres?? heck i'll take GPS coor too!!:rolleyes:

I'll be down there from April 20 to 27...

Yellow flowers = fish

white spinnerbaits

lizards/creature baits-green

tubes-green

az

thanks for the tips andy, my son and i will be there for the weekend only april 21 and 22.

we'll be in a black PT190/90 opti (see library) swing by and say hi if ya see us

thanks again

jim

Back